Multiple graph question?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by tbull, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Fortunatley for me, and not for my buddy, he bought a humminbird 797c2 with the side imaging feature, he ask me to put it on my boat since his is going to be out of commision for quite some time. The side imaging feature I think will really open up alot of doors for me, the thing is I think the 2D sonar on the humminbird is very dissapointing. I already have a Lowrance x510c color unit, on this unit I know how to locate fish very well, that being said I am gonna run both units, the bird for the side imaging, and the lowrance for sonar. My question is this, in mounting multiple transducers, do you HAVE to have them on opposite sides of transom? I would imagine you would simply because of the one may interfere with the other, but I just wanted to make sure. I think the combination of both of these units will be awesome, but how to go about doing it is the question. Thanks guys

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The side imaging transducer needs a clear line of sight horizontally - nothing can interfere with the transducer beam at or below the level of the transducer or your side imaginge results will be poor.

So mounting a second transducer on the transom is going to be a problem unless you can figure out how to keep it out of the way of the SI transducer, while also keeping the second transducer in position to allow smooth water flow around it for good performance.

And you can probably expect interference between the two units when they're running.

There's really nothing at all wrong with the down-looking transducer performance on the Humminbird. It's different than a Lowrance but certainly not inferior.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Travis,
    I believe that "theoretically" if they are using different frequencies they shouldn't interfere with each other. I would have to prove that to myself!!!
    Transducers should be on the right hand side of the transom to reduce the effect of the prop wash (again theoretically) so if they don't mess with each other you could mount them both on the right side, assuming your Lowrance is there already. If I wanted to try to run both units at the same time I wouldn't mount the SI transducer permanently anywhere until I gave it a thorough test.
    I have to agree with Mr. T though, I think my 997 2D is fine but it is different to a Lowrance ...W

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Travis, I have exactly the set up you are describing (510c and 997csi). I DO have interference. I have a transducer for the si on the back and the transducer for the 510 is in my minn kota trolling motor. I called hummingbird about the interference and they are sending me a special cable that is supposed to be the fix. btw, i found hummingbirds customer service to be EXCELLENT!!!:smile2:

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I agree about the theories:eek:oooh: If they are different frequencies then there should be no prob. Have you thought about mounting one on the front of the boat and the other on the transom? Maybe using one at a time to determine their capability then turn both on and see what's missing. We call it subtraction radiography here at the clinic. Good luck with it. I have a lowrance 522c iGPS and am trying to learn how to use it. It takes time and a 6 pack:smile2::smile2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I have 2 Hummingbirds, a 797 and a 535, with the transducers mounted less than 6 inches apart, and I get minimal interference, which really surprised me. I was expecting to only be able to run one sonar at a time, but it turned out that I can run both. So you might just give it a try. As Mr. T said, the SI transducer needs a clear line of site, which should be no problem if the bottom of your transom has a little bit of angle to it. Just mount it lower down the slope than the Lowrance transducer.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I went ahead and mounted the Lowranc transducer on the other side of the transom opposite the humminbird, so we'll see. I figured I would have less of a chance of interference that way, but I expect some so we will see. Just finished the install, I will take it out tommorow and see what I get. I know normally transducers aren't mounted on the left side but I have seen it done. Thanks for all your help I will post back how it goes.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well I got to take it out for a test, it was hard since the wife was with me asking whats that? whats that? whats that mean?.....:smile2:....So I didn't get to fool with it much. I did get a little interference but not much, I can say that I dont like having transducers on opposite sides of the transom, kind of defeats the purpose of what I want to do here, so long story short I am gonna try something different. I have a big deep V, the transom angles quite a bit, so I may try and put the transducers closer together. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all your input guys I appreciate it.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have a Lowrance LMS-337 xdcr mounted on one side of the transom, and an HB 797 side image xdcr on the other side. At times I would get interference from the Lowrance into the HG, but used the menu option to set the noise filter to low, I think, and it eliminated the interference. Maybe this will help someone else.