MULTIPLE CATFISH BAITS???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Angler Ace, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Because the catfishing for me has been slow this summer, I have started doing someting a little different, and my score has been improving.
    Instead of trying to figure out what to use for BAIT, I have been using 2 sometimes 3 different types of BAIT on the SAME HOOK.
    I can't tell what the catfish main interest was, but at least I started catching more.
    Has anyone else discovered that MULTIPLE BAITS get better results?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've done some serious thinking in my recent outings about that, never did it though.. figured if it wasnt lively looking as possible they wouldnt touch it. But hey if it's workin for you.. could be a good deal! Thanks for sharing.:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I have never tried that on the same hook but have used different baits on multi rods. Sounds like its working for you. Thanks for sharing.

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    When fishing for channels, I've always used shrimp and night crawlers together and always seemed to get better results. I've also dipped nightcrawlers in secret 7 just for the fun of it and caught fish too.

5. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have never tried using multiple baits on the same hook. I do like to bring a few different baits with me when I go out.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think I,d rather try different baits on different rods,then you could switch em all to what they,re hitting on.:wink:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Another alternative is to run 2 or 3 snelled hooks on one line, then put different baits on each. With 2 rods your utilizing 6 different baits. If I get 2 fish on one certain bait then I switch most of my other baits to that.

Ace, I dunno about you but I'm ready for the summer to end. Over all it seems most of us have had a particularly hard summer. Good luck out there bro ; )

-Jim-

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We usually run different baits on different hooks, even the same bait cut different ways or fished whole until we find what they are hitting best that particular day, then give them what they want.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i do that sometimes.sometimes your rod will get hit and you will reel it in and find that only one bait has been eaten and the other left so it can help find what they want a little quicker.and hey sometimes they just like the combo there just funny like thats why its good to have several kinds of baits with you when you go out.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Used to do this all the time..Especially for salt water fish..I've used up to three different baits on the same hook..Sometimes those fish will trip you out..Went out one time and me and my cousin was in one boat and my dad and his buddy in another boat and we were fishing side by side in the same hole..We were using shrimp and couldn't get a bite..My dad and his buddy were steady wearing them out..So we asked what the heck are ya'll doing over there..My dad said use cracked crab shrimp and squid and sure enough as soon as we started mixing up the bait we started catching em too..

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :tounge_out: Maybe we need to start usin those skipjack chunks with some liver attached and see what luck that brings or skip/shrimp combination.:smile2:

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a two hook carolina rig with two 5/0 kahles snelled on the same
    leader about 6" apart. I will put some kind of bait that I think will put
    scent in the water on the top hook.(cured liver, cutbait, ect.) and then
    live bait or skipjack on the bottom hook. Works great for me. I seem
    to get more foul hooked fish with this rig. They are hooked on the second
    hook under the chin or in the side of the head. I believe when this happens
    they are biting the top hook and I hook them with the bottom hook when I
    set the hook. In other words I would have missed him with just one hook.

13. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I have taken some whopper shad doughbait put in piece of pantyhose on a strait hook then a 2-3" pech on it and had some good luck with it

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I use two hooks on one line, and will put a different bait on each hook. Usually we'll have three baits, so that gives us three different combinations, and we usually fish three rods a piece so it works out well. Sometimes, not often, we find one getting almost all the fish, or one bait that's not getting anything.

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Matter of fact, i used this method lastnight with pretty good results.. we tried live and cut gills(seperate poles), no luck.. live and cut shiners(seperated poles), no luck.. cut carp.. didnt even hit bottom.. ran outta carp, so i started takig a dead bluegill, and a dead shiner, cut both in half, put all 4 pieces on a 11/0 hook, and caught 3 flatheads within an hour. 2 around 14# the other was 22.4#:cool2: caught 5 blues on the cut carp by the way. 2 @ 12#, 1 @ 16 #, 1@ 19.5#, and 1 @ 26.4# . the carp was bout 2lbs, we used 4 fillets, and the head. next time, im bringin more carp bait..lol

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    when i run out of big shiners i sometimes hook a dead shiner and a live one on the same hook because you get the scent of the dead one and the action of the live one.