Multiple baits?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Has anybody ever tried fishing with multiple live baits. I was playing with new knots and came across some that let me put hooks in the middle of the line and thought about the fact that 2 or 3 bluegill/goldfish/whateverbaityouuse would get more attention than one would.

2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i always use multiple baits,usually put out 4 poles if i'm alone and 6-8 if fishing with someone else,but i have never tried more than one hook on the same line.i put a live gill on 1 always and then cut shad and mooneyes on the other rigs.good luck and hope this helps

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have tried it before and only got tangled up every time maybe i did something wrong but sure did make rats nests of my line

4. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I put two per jug when I tried jug fishing. I was too scared to put more... although I never caught a monster on a jug I could just see them slinging a higher hook into my hand or arm or one of the kids. I only ever caught two fish on one jug once. Most of the time we'd use the different hooks to try different baits and see which was producing.

Interesting story though... I was bass fishing with my papaw once. He always fished a purple worm with a white tail, no weight... always (or at least when I fished with him). One day we were fishing a pond and it was windy and he was having trouble casting his lightweight rig. Instead of just adding some lead he tied a devils horse on about 2 feet from the worm. He fished his worms about the way you'd fish a devils horse anyways. Anyhow, second cast with his "weighted" worm and I'll be danged if he didn't catch two bass at once. One on the worm and one of the devil's horse :) Not catfishing, but your question brought back a fond memory to share :)

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I can see that .... I suppose it would be best in a deep location or a boat where your line is mostly straight down and you use alot of weight.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think on r&r you'd have do have weight on each of the droppers to prevent tangling... that's the way i see it in my head anyway. i have used different live baits on different rods at the same time, but never the same line.

7. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I can see myself throwing a homemade rig that resembles a bolo and somehow tangling my own feet up in it hehe :roll_eyes: Guess it would be entertaining for the kiddos :p :)

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The only way I could see this happening on 1 pole would be if you were using 2 hooks baited with cut bait or perhaps 1 live/1 cut.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yes I was considering the 1 live 1 cut.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It would have to be like a surfishing rig. I used to make my own rigs when I lived in Florida, but every time I would get a big fish on one of the hooks my line would break right at the knot. You might have to beef up your leader line.

11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    :0a36:just make a sabiki rig only using bigger line and hooks

12. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I always try multiple baits like cut eel, bream, cut bait, creek chubs, etc. an they hv got to eat one or the other or them all, bc after all they are flats!!!!

13. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    i tie 2 hooks on 1 line about a foot apart. one of the hooks will usually hav a worm & the other hook will hav something else. i dont have problems with the line tangling until im reeling in, becoz the fish rolls itself while im reeling & by the time i get him 2 the bank, its wrapped all around him. a few times the tangle was too much, but very seldom. a few times i was able to catch 2 at the same time (but they were small)