Mullets how do you catch them in deer creek in Ohio!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by butlersbeagles, May 16, 2006.

1. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone know where to catch mullets around deer creek

2. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Are you sure you mean mullet? Mullet are a saltwater fish.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mullet? whats a mullet?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am not familiar whith deer creek, but if you want to catch mullet for bait you need to put your boat in at the closest point towards the ohio river and go to the ohio river, travel down river till you meet the Missippi turn south and follow it to the gulf of Mexico and trow out your cast net when you see them jumping, LOL!!!

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Hey JW, didnt you grow up on a mullet boat?

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Naw, JW only had a Mullett haircut! Didn't you guys know that Deer Creek is the only inland Salt water lake in Ohio? Apparently there is a seam that runs underground down through southeastern ohio and ends up somewhere off the coast of Virginia? So it is very possible to get Mullett over by the Deer Creek Dam (above the dam near the underwater seam you can spot on your depth finder)

7. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    COMMON NAMES: White sucker, Gray sucker, Mullet, Brook sucker

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Catostomus commersoni

IDENTIFICATION: White suckers have a long slender body with silvery colored sides and a white belly. The mouth points down, allowing the fish to suck food from the bottom. The head is rounded between the eyes.

RANGE AND HABITAT: The white sucker is native to Ohio and can be found in every county in the state. Plus, it can be found in Lake Erie and its adjoining bays. White suckers can be found in small and large streams, ponds, lakes, and reservoirs. They prefer deeper water in the late fall and winter months but move into shallow water in lakes and riffle areas in streams. The white sucker can withstand a wide variety of conditions including turbidity, and low oxygen levels.

LIFE HISTORY: White suckers spawn from April to early May when they run upstream, usually starting at night. They seek areas with swift water and a gravel substrate to randomly spread their eggs. Females can lay between 20,000 to 50,000 eggs. The young hatch and remain in the gravel for one to two weeks before migrating downstream at night. Larval white suckers feed on protozoans, diatoms, and small crustaceans. As the young grow, the mouth moves to the ventral side of the fish and allows the fish to feed on the bottom. Adults are bottom fish and eat mud, plants, mollusks, insects, diatoms, crustaceans, and protozoans. Both adult and juvenile white suckers feed during the day and night.

ADULT SIZE: The average size white sucker runs from 6 ounces to 2 pounds. White suckers of 5 pounds are rare.

FISHING METHODS: The best time to fish for white suckers is March and April when they are on their spawning grounds. The best fishing methods are worms on a small hook. Casting rods, fly rods, cane poles, and even throw lines can be used. No sinker should be used and the bait should be allowed to drift naturally over riffle areas.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    No idea brother, always just use the shad I get out there. Sure are enough of em.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you want to catch a mullet you have to use a treble hook. All that hair is hard to get a hook set in!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    If you know so much about them.......why cant you find them or catch them......just askin?

11. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Actually in my opinion...you have answered all your questions.....from...typing them. I know of sucker fish...but not white sucker....the sucker fish i know of are in the creek i grew up around. I will say i have caught some sucker fish pushin one pound. Until i joined this sight i used to blow them up with firecrackers.....now......im catchin them for bait...lol I was a young kid when i did that though! Seriously though, i can tell you sucker fish are all over the place in little creeks......but a white sucker...i'm not sure....but hay....a sucker is a sucker....hay?.....Probably all good bait fish. If you need some suckers....i can help you out......in one night when i was a kid i caught about 50 in 3 hours. They were on the average about 8 inches. Hit me up if you want some suckers brother!

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ya catch'em the same way we do down here in Texas. Ya drive down the back roads and look for a truck up on blocks. When ya find the spot then ya honk the horn and holler "FREE BEER DUDE". When they run out to the truck ya wack'em on the head with a mallet, then procede to the next trailer. Lots of mullet hair types on them back roads.........

Sorry for being a smart a$$ Brother, it's my bed time and I just had to have a lil fun since the ol'lady ain't gonna help me have any tonight :cry: .........

Good luck and I hope ya find'em.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The only way that I've got them was to gig them at night in March or very early April. They would be running up the small streams to spawn then during the day they would head for the deeper pools. This is one of the fish they talk about when they say not to use explosives in the regs.....for real. I knew some that have and ya get alot more, he hee for cut bait. A cast net should work during the day for I have never seen them bite real good at anytime.

Hope this helps

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We must live fairly close together, I drive 207 past deer creek everyday to work in Mt Sterling.

15. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Stillfishing, we used to call it. I would try some redworms, or corn, or waxworms, on a light wire #8 hook, 4-lb test line and an ultralite setup. Work a simple baited hook on the bottom first in all the holes, then put on a very small bobber and work it off the bottom. No sinker, or just the samllest split shot you can find.

Dennis