Mullet fish - For catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by wpsatisfide, Jan 23, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Anyone tried catfishing with them? Sure are easy to get where I live, couple throws with a net and I can have a few dozen. I usually use scale them, cut the head and tail off and use when i surffish, but have yet to try them for cats.

2. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I live in Mobile Alabama and fish the gulf, the bay and upstream in the Alabama River. I bait trotlines with cut mullet as well as finger mullet. The cut works well on blues but the finger mullet is great on the flatheads.

3. whampas_cat

whampas_cat New Member

State:
    Wharton Texas
    I have used mullet on juglines during the warmer months and have had much luck. I got into a huge school last week and ended up with a cooler and a half full of mullet. I froze them and tried them out this past weekend and did not do so well with them. Froze shad seemed to work better. I recommend you to keep on trying them in differnt conditions to see how they work. I amd going to keep on fishing with them throughout this year. I was told that fresh dead mullet works best. I Have even heard of people catching flatheads off of fresh cut mullet.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use mullet sometimes and have several decent fish on it.

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for your info. Ive always had better luck with fresh dead bait than frozen so that dosnt surprise me much. Guess I will try and net some a couple days before I go and try them, cant hurt

6. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    where can i get mullet i live in tn and would like to try it

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While mullet is generally a very good bait for most fish in saltwater, and some in fresh water, including catfish, since you're located in Tennessee, you'd probably be much better off using skipjack for bait because they are much oilier and bloodier than mullet.

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I has a 55lb wels on a mullet last year, if you can get crucian carp or tench they are more hardy baits.:)

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Fresh mullet huh:cool: . Well I've got some frozen 5 inch mullets in the fridge I've been saving for this summer. Tell me I haven't kept the for nothing. Got some squid too. If the frozen an no good, do you guys think they would be good ground up and used in a chum bag?

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    my cousin got in good with a seafood market here and they save him the guts out of mullet they dress and that is all he uses in the cooper river. they slay the blues when they go every spring. but man they stink. wpsatisfide why dont you ship me acouple doz. of fresh mullet bout 12 inches long and i will let you know how they work up here in hartwell.

11. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have found a that mullet guts work great when fishing for flats and blues I like using mullet guts. I have tried mullet guts here in the cumberland and and have gotten some eater size channels off it but nothing big. but Back in GA it works great on the Flats and blues 15 - 25lbs

12. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    flatheadhunterx dunno how in the heck id ship fish lol

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i dont either, a lady my wife knows use to order them from florida and she lives in columbia to cook was gonna order me some but a hurricane put the place out of business.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I just found a little fish markey that sells mullet here - they're not frozen but shipped in on ice. So I'm gonna get a couple of 'em for my next trip and see what happens!!

15. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    sounds good like good bait, its extreamly good saltwater bait so ill keep any if i ever have any extra,