Mules

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Mac-b, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    As a kid I was fascinated with mules and rode them and worked them when I became old enough to control them. There were a lot of things about mules that I did not understand as a child, but after reading the attached link I now understand. I hate to think how the farmers of old would have function without the mule. Mules and riding mules will cost you a pretty penny in todays market.
    http://www.ruralheritage.com/mule_paddock/mule_why.htm

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good read for sure and interesting info :wink:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Mac. Nice article. Been around them more than my share out here in Iowa and Amish country.

I realize it is not hard to do with horses, comparing them to other things, but I will take a mule any day of the week when we compare their brain capability and common sense to a horse.

If a horse brain were the size of a thimble, which it is, then a mules brain is the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    One more item about mules and how people worked and cared for them. http://www.nps.gov/archive/choh/boatrides/Mules.html

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the read Mac. Interesting. When I was small we had a couple. The only bad thing I remember about them was that they liked to set their own hours. They were always worked during the daylight hours. When it came quittin time (their time) they would head to the barn even if they were in the middle of a row. Had to pay attention to them and be a step ahead of them.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    When I was in my early teens, I hired on to work a tobacco sled pulled by a mule. One day at the end of the row, I slipped into the woods to take a leak and when I came back out, the sled and mule were gone. I panic and one of the pickers told me to go to the barn and I would find my sled and the mule. Sure enough there it was at the barn waiting to get into its stable. Believe it or not, the mule did not tear down a single hill/row of tobacco. It follow the path that we had used all day, except for the detour to the barn.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Very intresting stuff there Mac, thanks for the read...

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Mac your post reminded me of a funny scene my son and i have been laughing about since the other day.
    Check out the video about Clint and his mule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFpM2OEWPs

Sorry I dont know how to embed the video. You may have to cut and paste. The name of the video is three coffins.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent had a mule ,But I have owned several hay burning,cost escalating horses. Never again. I had a good friend that used to team rope off a mule. He won lots of times too,Those mules are way sharper than horses ,and much less prone to spook over stupid stuff.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, Now I see I've been being complimented.......Sweetie is always calling me an Ol' Mule,,,,, sometimes,,, she calmly refers to me as an Ol' Goat...
    Must be something good about them too!!!!:smile2:

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee