Mulberries

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    A little pearl of wisdom. Any of you guys ever fish for Carp under a Mulberry tree? Carp love them. Find a tree hanging over the water when the berries are falling and they will be in there feeding like hogs. Lots of fun.
    Here is the part that alot of people don't know, Channel cats love them too. A few years back I caught a channel that was stuffed full of them. That got me to thinking which can turn out to be pretty dangerous some times. This time it worked out OK. The problem is NOT catching a carp before you catch a cat. The secret is Chicken liver. The carp won't touch them and the channel suck them up. Give it a try.
    There may be folks out there that knew all this but I thought I would pass it on to those that don't.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    it ry to fish the smoky where there is a tree at my hole every year

3. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    put on a purple colored dip bait worm dip it in some good ole stinkin dip bait and hold on. we catch more than the avg. on this method in the arkansas from oxford to okl. line and all the way into kaw this way. if you cannot find purple use black. as always good luck to everyone. p.s.s use a dip bait with lots of shad in it, i prefers harths because it washes of little by little drawing em in, also had good luck with wicked stickey.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have found two spots on the river that have mulberry treea hangin over. I have been waitin for them to ripen so that I can try that. About a week or so and it will be time.I will post on how it works for me.

5. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I didn't know the fish liked 'em. I spent a half hour at work today pickin' and eatin' 'em, though.

6. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Fished Slough creek at Perry from the Kayak today. Wow the lake is high. There was lake water all the way up to the first bridge. Caught 3 nice channel and several smaller ones. Biggest was almost 6 lbs. Caught them all under mulberry trees and the three I cleand were STUFFED with berries.

Also caught a carp about 10 lbs. You talk about fun in a 9' Kayak. He dragged me all over the place.

7. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Wanted to say thanks to Dent60 fo his idea about dip bait. I wish I had thought to take some with me today.