Muddville catmaster is a piece

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by WayneV, Aug 6, 2009.

1. WayneV

WayneV Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just warning u guys, dont buy a muddvile catmaster made by south bend. Their pieces of crap. My cousin bought one while on vacation in N.C. My brother bent the tip a little and it snapped in half. Their hollow with a eggshell thin layer of whatever. It cost her $50. What a rip! I dont know what she was thinkin, she knows we religiously use ugly sticks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    One bad rod doesn't mean that they are all bad. :crazy:

I've had several for years and they are as good as any similar product line I've tried. I've either have or have used the 7' and 8' casting rods, as well as the 7', 8', and 10' spinning rods. South Bend changed the name several years ago from Catfish Special to Mudville for some reason. I know many people who use them as well, especially the 10' casting rod. They've caught fish up to 70lbs on them.

Yeah, they aren't fancy, and I wouldn't use them with 100lb Power Pro, and I wouldn't try to cast 8 or 10oz with them, but they get the job done within reason.

I will say that if she paid $50 for it, she got screwed over on it. I can buy the 7' and 8' rods all day at K-Mart for $20 and $21. There are a couple of places on-line that sell the 10' rods for $30. If you look REALLY hard, you can still beat that. The last two 10' spinning rods I bought on-line, I got them for either $16 or $21.

3. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Ive had nothing but bad luck with ALL the South Bend rods that I've bought, I'll never buy another thats for sure. I had a medium light spinning rod that did the exact same thing.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's funny, I actually spend much more on the rods that I currently use, but 1 of my all time favorites was a South Bend. It was a signature series Rattle Trap rod, that I found at Wally world for $20. It was years ago though, and they seem to have discontinued them a couple of years after I started buying them. I must have bought 5-6 of them.

I never had one break of give me any problems due to proper usage. However, the reason that I had to buy so many was, that for some strange reason my fishing buddy couldn't help but constantly close the trunk on them. Good thing they were cheap. But, I even caught a #30 carp with one of them...no problem at all.

5. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I think I paid $12 for mine. I've had to replace three of the five guides because the inserts fell out from nailing rocks, and the tip started twisting around and I super glued it back in place. This rod is only used for shore carp fishing around rocks without a rod holder. Piece of junk but it's caught the majority of my twenty pound carp.

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a combo I bought maybe 4-5 years ago, slammed the tip in a door and broke it. Took the reel off used it for the past 4-5 years. Finally got the tip fixed 2 months ago but I havent tried reusing it yet

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I was thinking the same thing, I have one that was like 20 bucks!!!!

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We bought a couple of the South Bend combos for the Mt. Juliet Catfish Club(kids catfishing club) and the kids had the same problems..We buy combos all the time for the kids to give as prizes..They did not hold up well at all..We have since started buying the Bill Dance Catfish combos for them which have held up a lot better..Plus I have been able to get BPS to sponsor the club so they give us a great deal on the combos..

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Well, you know, everyone has issues with some rod, doesn't matter who makes it. Ugly Stiks are Great! Ugly Stiks Suck! Catmaxx is great! Catmaxx sucks! And on and on. Dog them all you want, the last summer that I ran a sporting goods dept. for Wal-Mart, I sold 500 of them that summer, and not one of them was returned. :0a30:

Madtown, you're calling the rod a piece of junk because of damaged guides from rocks? Why are you banging the guides on rocks? :0a28: You bang just about any guide on the rocks, it's going to bend it or chip it (maybe not solid stainless ones).

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have handled the mudville rods..I would use one if thats all I had, but they seemed right up there with some of the cheapest made rods I have seen, but for the price ya get what you pay for.

11. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anything South Bend sucks! and these rods/reels are no different, you can tell they are crap quality when you pick them up.

12. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They're not the best rods on the market but they get the job done. Mine has held up fine, except for the reel. As long as you don't abuse them they hold up well. I got one of the spinning combos from walmart about a year ago. It's weird, every time I catch a flathead it's always on that rod? I always bring my other rod and they're rigged the same but I always get flatheads on the muddville??

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    My buddie has one and he loves it he has got 15lb carp on it and a 9lb. flathead on it...Maybe he got the deffective one idk!!lol

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I feel the same way but it is with South Bend products in general. 99% of the time with fishing gear you get what you pay for so I try to spend the extra coin now.

15. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    You know what cracks me up? :smile2::smile2:Tons of people slam South Bend
    but another funny thing is, on a musky forum I read occasionally, those diehard fisherman consider the Tony Rizzo/Trophy Tamer/Spence Petros rods a great buy in a decently priced rod.:eek:oooh: And really, to be honest, musky fishing is harder on equipment than 95% of catfishing is.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  16. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I owned SouthBend rods as well as more costly rods.The SouthBend I had witstood every thing throwed at it accept my garage door. Ouch