Mudbugs (crayfish) for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Buddrice, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Does anyone ever use mudbugs (creyfish or crawfish) for bait?

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the reply. I will try it.

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Crawdads are great for shallow water. We use them every now and then, but we cut off those pinchers before putting them on the hook. Learned that the hard way:cursing:

Also try and get them when they are soft (when they've just shed their shell, and still haven't regrown the new one all the way.)

SudDawg

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use them alot on the flats only thing is keeping them bass off the hooks.

5. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    My little nephew (7 years old) had got 4 crawdads in a small river that were entangled in a bunch of fishing line. Now he's 10 and I have been using them as a live bait for all cats for 3 years. Good consistent natural bait.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I used em all the time when I was young. Grampa would task me with catching them. I think he also knew it would keep me busy when the bite was slow. We would pull the claws off. They really work well. Tho bass like them too.

7. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    Crawdad's are an excellent bait... take yer pliers & smush the pinchers & cut the end's off their legs... keeps 'em from crawlin' under stuff that way. :thumbsup:

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    "Ditch Crickets" are great for channels exspecially the smaller one w/ soft shells.

9. jtholder00

jtholder00 New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    I have had success in the colder months with them.. also, we used to take the pliers and smash their heads.. this lets juice out of them.. not sure where it came from.. the guy I was with did this..

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always felt they would be good bait, but I tried them on trotlines a few times, and they just stayed on the hooks till they started getting fuzzy. Finally decided that my lines weren't located in crawfishy spots, and the catfish knew that crawfish didn't belong in that area.

11. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    use to use them on shoals in creeks, but couldn't keep other fish off, drum ell snakes uould fill up the line and strip bait.

12. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Flip them inside out by pinching the head off. Then put the point of your hook in the butt plate and running the skin around your hook..... Oh wait a minute, thats catalpas.. Sorry crawfish are great bait.

13. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeh they are real good bait. The bigger the better. But around were I fish the drum get to them within minuetes. No lie. I have got very few cat's on them and no ba$$.

14. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh yeh if you know how to pick them up properly then you DO NOT have to cut the claws off. They will craw under stuff but the fish will see that movement and come over to eat them up.