mud vein in catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by switchback, Jul 20, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All right me and my friends just had a fish fry. My brother always cuts the yellow flesh and the mud vien out of the fish, he says they taste better. My dad on the other hand says that it wastes meat. What do you guys think?

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    cut it out ............ meat will be better for sure ............

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Cut it out and if ya got time soak it in salt water. Wastein meat is leavin it there and nobody eating it.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would cut out the red meat and if your channels have a yellow layer along the back bone then drop the fillets in boiling water for 2 minutes and 2 minutes only. This will release the yellow fat from the fillets and eliminate the strong fishy taste typically of channels with a yellow fat layer. I used to not eat channels because of the strong fishy taste then 2 friends told me about the boiling water trick and I have used it for years on my channels. The blues and flatties don't need it just the channels.

catman george

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks guys

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    always cut out the mud vein and the red meat. it makes a world of difference.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    never have. but the red meat does get gray and slimy on bigger fillets. i like small bone in 15-18" one best. tails are a meat potato chip.:wink:

i may start taking off the red meat layer. guess it wont hurt. but ive ate it for 30 years already.:smile2:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never taken it out and catfish taste great to me. I will try it to see what they taste like without it. Could be an interesting experience

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definitely cast my vote on the side of "take it out". Makes a world of difference in the taste. A sharp knife will v it out without all that much loss. Roll em in Andy's seasoned breading, cook in peanut oil and enjoy.

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i cut it out,but alot of my family like the vain,some say it gives it the taste

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sorry to dissagree but i say zatarains is a better breading than andys

12. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I cut it out. The next time you have a mess of fish try it both ways and see which one you prefer.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I'll second that! I prefer Zantarain's's over Andy's.

14. rvrrt

rvrrt New Member

State:
    IL
    I always cut out the mud vein and trim the fat, tastes better. Iprefer andy's but you have to add garlic powder , onion powder and ceyanne pepper . Works good on fries too.

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yall r making me hungry.

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    apparantly some of you havent had tontos fish when he uses andys red:wink:

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are you guys eating carp?lol The majority channels I catch don't have a mud vein. Oh I have cleaned a few over the years with the darker red, but why not all of them?:confused2:

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    he means the strip that goes down the side. its not a mudvein, but i take it out anyway. the mudvein goes down the back

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    cut it out!

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I always try and cut out any red, or yellow meat. But for some reason last week when we fried fish, it tasted a little to fishy to me. I wonder why? Usually, if I do a good job cutting out the trash, it taste great. :confused2: