Mud On Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Dec 21, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A man told me one time, "you won't see no catfish on your sonar when it is cold because they are in the mud on the bottom."

Well, today the water was cold, the cats were biting, and I never marked any on the sonar. I attached a picture of the typically mud stained sides of the cats. Sometimes the "mud line" was half way up their side.

So, what do you think?

Are they in the mud for warmth, laziness, or are they just too lazy to take a bath? :big_smile_2:

Attached Files:

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Interesting, maybe the mud is slightly warmer.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats the first time ive ever heard that but it seems logical to me.Id like to hear more on this if anyones got any info.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Excellent observation and question. I'm interested in the correct answer. I would say it has to do with temperatures.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've seen those catfish like that, not sure why they do it, but I've noticed it's more common right after a front comes through, at least it seems that way to me. Maybe someone else will know why they do it.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Keen observation......I will begin to take more note on my catches. It obviously makes sense to me

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We have noticed that as well in this area, It usually happens when the water temp's reach the lower 40's and below. We assume it is to conserve energy or for warmth but really don't know. The sonar will actually show the fish to be half covered on the bottom as well in deeper areas 25 to 35 ft. But we do know they don't all do this at the same time because some of the blues will be actively feeding at the same time you see some buried in the mud and the ones you catch will be covered in mud up to half of their bodies.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Pat and I saw the same thing on the Greenwood channels a few weeks ago. Water temp was 49* at the time.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    some times i dont want to take a bath so my wife want find me but she does and i have to take a bath :embarassed:

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have always heard that cats bury in the mud during the winter to stay warm but have never given it much thought. but it may be something to think about because I have saw them with mud lines on them like that.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    By looking closely on the bottom center of this pic, I think it may be just what you are describing. Kinda hard to see without zooming in a little...

Attached Files:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats it Tommy, if you zoom it in part of the center and both sides of the arcs will be below what the sonar shows as the bottom ground level.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy, I caught some today the had mud up to their dorsal fin. It was like the only thing above the mud was their head and gills.

One things is for sure; they still bite!! :eek:oooh:

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Here's a related question: When the fish are down in the mud, would you increase your strikes if you position the float so that the bait is closer to the bottom? If I recall correctly, it's seems the last time we fished when the fish were down in the mud the rod that got the most frequent hits was the one with the shortest leader, about 16" long (I was being lazy & didn't feel like replacing it with a longer one)!

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes they do stir in the mud in the cold temps. I caught several cats last week that had mud on their bellies. It could offer some kind of warmth for them as they stir around in it, or perhaps just lay. But for the most part I think it depends on the area you are fishing and the type of bottom it may have.

I do know that in the winter time it is definitely apparent for flatheads as they are dormant for the most part and a lot of times slit covers them and mud because they do not move around much.