Mud motors

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by djlabs, Aug 26, 2006.

1. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I am looking for some info from someone who has ran long tail mud motors.I have a 19' boat 60" bottom and I have been looking at the Beavertail motors in both 27 hp and 35 hp , I am getting conflicting stories from different dealers on which motor I should run. I am open to any suggestions from someone with insight (I normally hunt with a full load, 4 people,dog,lots of decoys,and all the other gear)
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Try to go on the GO DEVIL sight and read some info on there.The offer various motors, hope this helps ya out.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd check out a mud buddy. I've seen those motors do some pretty impressive things.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    YOU GOT IT !!!!. They Use The Go Devils Down Here To Duck & Gator Hunt All The Time. I Don't Own One But I've Used Them They Are Great!!

5. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I just ordered a set of twin 23hp Go-Devil motors so we will have to see how they work hopefully they will get the job done. I will let you know after I get them installed and test them.

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i got a mudbuddy 29 horse. unbelievable what they can do.. it is a short shaft vs the long ones and i am glad i got it. although i cant compare. i believe the turn radius is better with the short. it dont stick out so far and it can do about anything. i would look at the biggest horsepower youroutfit can handle. 4 guys and gear, blind, etc is a lot of weight for my 29 and 16foot boat.. wouldnt do it by choice. only wish i had more time to run the thing.. when given a choice, i would rather sink some shad or stink. dave

7. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Dave did you give up on the outboard jet?
    FYI I run a 16 lowe big john 3 guys, 1 dog, decoys. fully loaded or should I say overloaded. 25 hp mudbuddy= 15mph.
    When you get it go out and play with itin a large area. These motors can get away from you in a hurry. I have tremendious respect for mine. works great and takes me intoo places I still can't believe. N

8. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Dave did you give up on the outboard jet?
    FYI I run a 16 lowe big john 3 guys, 1 dog, decoys. fully loaded or should I say overloaded. 25 hp mudbuddy= 13mph.
    When you get it go out and play with it in a large area. These motors can get away from you in a hurry. I have tremendious respect for mine. works great and takes me in too places I still can't believe. NEVER run it without a life jacket on and kill switch. The shortcomings are speed, no reverse, limited manuverability. In that order. works great for short runs.
    Jeff

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    good reply, i WILL take your advice on the kill switch.... but 15 miles per hour where i hunt will take you a while and someone will beat ya to it. just around the corner... too rah fellas.

10. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    I went hunting with a guy last year in a mud buddy and i couldnt believe the places we were going. Out teal season here in missouri opened this past weekend and to get away from the crowds we went someplace only one with a mud buddy could go. we had three guys aand a dog on a 16 ft landau with a 25 hp mud buddy wow we were running in like 4 inches of water. To top it all of we pulled a dummy who tryed to get back there with an outboard who got stuck we pulled him right out!

11. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.

I got the jet motor and I really like it for fishing but I had alot of trouble getting to some of my duck hunting holes last winter because it would instantly plug up any time you got into the least little bit of grass.To make a long story short I got sick of it so I bought a set of twin 23 hp Go-Devil motors and I will run them for duck hunting and the jet for fishing just going to have to put a quick attach on the console and electrical but I think it will be worth it.
    Thanks for the info I will have to run them some in the daylight before duck season to get used to them because if your 25 is a hand full I am sure the twin 23 will be a real hand full. Feel free to give me any other pointers you want to , I am always willing to take advise because like they say experience is the best teacher.

12. hoosier angler

State:
    Arizona
    Hi David, I do the same thing (switching motors) I used these connectors for my battery connection at the motor. (I run 2 batteries with a selector switch and an onboard charger). I wish I had some photos of the setup , I will try to get some for you this weekend. Thes are not cheap (milspec. Anderson connectors.) If you go this way you will need two sets, which will leave you with one spare connector. They are used for forklifts and other high draw electrical equiptment.) I have been running them for two years without any problems. I would say one of the best add ons you could do. personal mail me with your email, I lost it when my hard drive failed.I will find the link to Anderson's website, they have all the specs there.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=connectors&noImage=0

13. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    David, you might have been better off just buying a propped lower unit for your jet outboard it only takes about 30 min to change out. I saw a thread on here somewhere another member has that set up.