Mud Motors in Ohio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 18, 2009.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I may have taken the 1st step in getting a new toy next year. I saw someone in IN who had a 16 foot long (Alumacraft ? Jon) w/ a Mud Motor on it. I almost (almost) bought it, actually would have just taken over the payments left but didn't.

One reason that I didn't was that I found a company in PA that custom makes "Mud Motors" out of Honda engines. Thepre prices seem to be 1/2 of what Go Devil prices are.

Does anyone know of places in Ohio that sell custom motors such as this?

I also have some other questions such as size? I need nothing of much power, maybe something comparable to a 9.9 outboard. I'm not into speed at all. At first I was going to look at a 14 foot extra Jon but found a 16 footer that was 72 inches wide, which is about perfect. What would be the minimum size mud motor that would push that size of a Jon? I was thinking about a 15 hourse mud motor, but would one less than 10 hp work?

Also how does a mud motor work in water say 1-2 feet w/ a gravel bottom?

Thanks for ANY help you could provide.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, I just checked out the Mud Buddy site. wow! cool boats. I took a look at there props and would definitely say keep them away from gravel bottoms. If the water is that skinny get out and walk through it.:big_smile:

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That long shaft scares me a tad. I just wonder if an actual Jetmotor would be better? I figure I have all winter to mull things over and get advice, so keep them coming! :big_smile:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    First I heard of these so I went an took a look. Thanks for the info very interesting.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must stop looking.... I found excatally what I want. How many times can you what that? It's in FL, custom made boat and everything. Brand new 18 HP w/ Honda motor 16 foot Jon again brand new. Total cost after tax and everything is about $6K., which is about $2K more than I wanted to spend.

I'm going to try and loose the site and never look at my bookmarks. :embarassed:

Oh yea.... This motor says it's made for shallow rocky areas! :eek:oooh:

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will add something for guys looking at these:

The prices have came down in recent years due to overages in 5-25 horse 2 cycle motors left over from the generator reuquest boom that Y2K brought. This is why so many custom motors are using Honda and Kohler engines. (just found this out today.)

7. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run a jett drive .check them out I can run in 6 to 8 in of water.Check craigs list .Nice boats are selling for 5to 6000$

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan I have a good friend that bought a boat and a mud motor. He only owned it for a year! Hated it. Yes they will go pretty much anywhere. But, he claimed it was very difficult to run, and almost needed two people to drive the darn thing he claimed. He sold it and bought a jet drive. Thats what most of us shallow river fishermen run up here as you know. No complaints. Might wanna give it some thought if your gonna be buying. I don't think you would be disapointed in the jet instead. rollo

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'm not positive so don't quote me but i remember maybe reading something about mud motors only putting out about half the HP the motor is rated for..example a 20 hp mud motor would be about the same as a 10 hp regular outboard. i've also read the downsides to jet motor is you gotta be haulin to get the benefits of a shallow ride..you basically gotta be up on a plain to get the shallow ride you want. i've considered mud motors but i think it would be more of an advantage if your wanting to just putt around, not be flying and be able to handle the shallow stuff. also the advantage to a mud motor is the convenience of just pushing down on the tiller and lifting the prop out of the water very easily.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jets lose around 20 hp. Dunno about the mudders. For example my motor is a 60hp head. But a 40hp output. Hole shot is slower than my last tiller, but the upside is like Randy said, you can skip sandbars and be planed out in less than a foot! To me thats all you need on the skinnyest waters! It's pretty awesome! rollo

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks guy for all the info . Been looking at upgrading to a jet on my 16' welded john. It is 72" wide and rated for 35 hp according to the tag on it. The 20 hp merc get it on plain good in the lake but wanting to rig it for some skinny river fishing.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Brother, I know you don't have a need for speed, but the Jet is the way to go. Minor correction on Jet vs prop power loss. It is 30% power loss. Mine is a 115/80 meaning a 115 power head giving 80 horses at the jet. I have a 2072 and need most of it to get her up. I have been playing with mine pretty hard this year and I have run mine in as little as 3 inches of water at full speed.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can most regular mechanics work on jets?

Also... I have/had the oppertunity to get a 16 goot Tracker Grizzley w/ a 15 HP outboard. Could a boat mechanic turn any outboard into a jet?

Thanks guys

14. Bryan-

I agree those mud motors are pretty cool, but if ya can swing it, please get a jet outboard. On plane or not, it beats a prop.

There are a few companies that offer conversion kits for certain outboards with props, just google it. I really wanted to convert mine, but it isn't availiable for my make. If I ever get any kind of coin to spend on an outboard, it will definately be a jet.

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Well that kind of stinks. I wanted to get a shallow water set-up, and really liked the idea of the Jet, but I also want to be able to get on Hoover. Hoover has a 9.9 limit, and if the Jet is losing around 1/3 of it's listed power, it sure seems like a waste of money, and a very low powered boat.

I think that's what push poles are made for.:big_smile:

16. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys could run a berkeley jet and not lose any hp of course you also need a v8 to power it:wink:

Attached Files:

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Doesn't that one cause you to knock holes in your boat and have to be saved by a crane?:smile2:

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sometimes it is too fast for my own good!

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Use your trolling motor on Hoover ;)

Outboard Jets Inc. in San Leandro CA can answer anything you want to know about jets and more. 90% of the Jets you see were made there and shipped to the manufacturers. Yes a boat engine mechanic can swap a prop lower unit for a Jet and vise versa. Apparantly, if you know what you are doing, it is a 2 hour job. I would like to do it but don't have the $1200 for the prop lower unit and their 2 hours would be 10 1/2 hours for me.....

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cant be much to switching them but 1200 bucks:0a5:wow ill have to check into this i have tossed around the idea myself mellon. good thread bro:wink:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009