Mud Leeches For catfish Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by shortshank, Jun 6, 2006.

1. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    One of the other threads a question about craw daddies for bait was talked about and I got to thinking we also used leeches. Anyone else have any luck using those blood sucking little baits? We bought them by the dozen and cut them into sections about 1/2 in. or smaller. Put them on a single hook and catch 3-4 fish off the same bait.
    Don

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I tried 'em in Kentucky a time or two I think, but don't recall them working very well. I used them whole though, and didn't know much about fishing for anything but bass back then.

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught lots of big channels on mud leechs. They are especially effective used on bank poles. A small piece of mud leech will catch a big channel, especially during flood/high water times. I have used the same piece of leech for over a month and caught big channels on it the whole time. It is a very cost effective way to bait trotlines and bank poles. They work on rod and reels also, but not as well as bank poles.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    When I had a bait shop in Illinois I sold a lot of leaches. I never tried them my self but a lot of people used them as there only bait of they could get them.

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i use them alot but i tip mie with nightcrawler as well the flats love em that way