Mud dobber nesting site

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bobpaul, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's no way out of it that I know of. If you hang your engine in a barn or on the back of your boat for a year without using it, you need to inspect it before you try to run it.

Here's a couple of pics of Mark J's engine showing mud dobber nests and nests from other critters that layed an egg in all the holes in the casting that were desirable for there nests.

These pics also show the air box covering the two carbs on this model Mariner 60 hp and the wiring to the starter solenoid and both trim solenoids. All this has to e disconnected and the air box removed before getting to the carbs.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I never knew that they were called mud dobbers. Many of the bridges I go under while fishin have tons of those nests under them. LOL! Anything ya need to know about the city? LOL!

3. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    my son came up to visit an help me clean up my yard, filled trailer an he asked for my weed eater, told him i tried to use it 2 days ago, no stard. he tried , threw it on the ground an took me to ace hdw. boughe me a new one ,worked real good. went to put up both in the shed, picked up the old one an something cought my eye, a white gob ,looked an the critter stopped up the exhaust port.one day whin i have time i'll clean it out, should be ok. yard man 2stroke was bad about not running till you cleaned the carbon out of the stoppedup port. ck fire first then exhaust port down here in fla. cap all your gas welding tips an nozels, spare hoses, the critters will stop up anything... cockroach

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Georgy-Porgey,

That's because you are a Northern city boy. And Bob is a Southern country boy.
    :tounge_out:

I guess you never heard the plural saying for wasp either? :big_smile: :roll_eyes:
    Took a Southern flatlander hillbilly to point out to Mom and me that 'waspers' is not a word. I never really thought about it, until he pointed it out to us.

So I guess everyone can learn something new.

BP,

Thanks for the pics. One of my brothers owned a boat dealership here in the late 60's, out on 421. I always preferred Evinrude, but everyone has their opinions. And with me being a girl, WHAT do I know anyway?

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Ah, DIRT daubers......that's what I was raised callin' 'em anyhow :big_smile:. They can find the smallest most protected niches known to man at times. Out on my front porch, the plaster ceiling has a few cubbyholes around the edges. Those ole mud dauber wasps love it in there. When we were kids, we enjoyed watching my grandmother poke 'em down with a broom handle. The insects were havin' a contest based on how many spiders they had collected, but THEY didn't know it :lol:!

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Bob,
    Thanks for the update.
    Had this happen to me one time.

7. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Darn mud wasps love to build nests in bilge pump tubing and the pee hole in the motor, too.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob look up under that fly wheel to. They love nesting in that coating around those wires uned there.

I tore a 1987 40 h/p vro evenrude down a couple months ago that had sat for 7 years and it had of all things a ants nest in the pump that operates the oil and gas supply for the engine. Needless to say a heck of a mess.
    It was stored in a barn also.

Good post Bob.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you find any gold in any of that dried mud I want it back.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me help a yankee concrete stomper out.
    George, under a bridge what you are looking at is more then likely bird nests.
    The robin makes a nest of mud.
    Snakes love bridges for this reason too. They know where to go to get an easy meal of bird eggs so I would keep my bald egg head away from bridges.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, I guess yankee is true here. And I'm one too I guess! But I know what a swallow nest looks like. LOL Mud on a bridge with a hole in the middle. Mud or Dirt dobbers look like wasps, but supposed they can't sting. I don't take chances with them. LOL

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The southern version of baseball. Tobacco sticks as bats, flying insects, stinging and nonstinging were the fast balls, curves, and sliders.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I pulled the flywheel today to try to find out where the stator came from and there was another dauber nest under it.

Got em all run off now.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bob, the dirt dobber eggs are free from me to you.
    Thanks for the all the hard work bringing that kitten back to life.

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've had them build a nest in the pee hole of an outboard two years in a row.

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Best one I've ever had , was a mouse built a nest in the intake manifold of a year old yamaha 10 hp I think.

It had the reed valves stuck open with some corn kernels it had brought to the nest.

This was not covered by warranty:lol:

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    One good thing about them. They eat spiders.

Went out last year in the boat and pee hole was spewing. Dang things had plugged the hole. Ran a wire up in it and it started doing it's thing. I had just used it the previous week too.

18. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Nasty little suckers...I found them in most of the things stored for any
    period of time...they even get into my gas grill.