Mud cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by hunterhnc20, Aug 12, 2008.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Does anyone know where I can get some mud cats? I live in Buffalo, WV. There use to be alot of them around here but now I cant even find one or find someone that knows where I can get any. Id love to find a place where I could catch about 50 of them to bring back and stock my pond with. Thanks for any info.

2. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I was just wondering what kind of catfish you call a mudcat? My friend was calling these fish mudcats and i thought they were bullhead.

Thanks

3. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    What I call a mud cat is yellow on the belly and a yellowish brown on top. Im pretty sure they a call yellow bullheads, Ive always called them mud cats. I dont think they get much bigger then 12 inches long, what I have seen. I use to caught them in a back water that was only a couple feet deep. Hope this helps. This website says they are yellow bullheads http://www.floridaconservation.org/fishing/Fishes/catfish.html

4. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Dont know what part of the state Buffalo is in but Cheat Lake has a bunch of them here in Morgantown.

5. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Thanks Pete, Morgantown is 2 1/2 to 3 hrs away. Im in between Charleston and Huntington. Would it be worth me coming that far to catch some of them. How many could I caught in a day of fishing? I would come that far if it was worth my time.

6. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Well right now it is a little slower than normal... I was out two nights ago for about 4 hours and we only caught 5 cats, 2 bullhead 3 channel. Sometimes you can catch over 10 in a good night.