Mud cat, What are they?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, Oct 6, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When I was a youngster, I would fish with my pap-paw and some of his buds. They all were older men. We would catch a certain cat fish that the older men would call a mud cat. What type cat fish was this? was it a bull head or a flat head? :confused:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    verlon. when i was in my teens i was fishing a pond here in il. i caught a catfish about 3#. it was whitish in color and had dark plotches on it. not small spots but big patches. some folks said that was a mudcat. ill try and dig up that pic. i still have no idea what it was but it tasted fine. lol.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You may get a few different answers to this question. Where I grew up a mudcat was a bullhaed and was also known as a pollywog.

4. slqfan

slqfan New Member

State:
    Stockdale, TX
    Around here a mudcat is a bull head. Until I came on this forum I had never heard of bull head, because every body calls them mudcats.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    around my parts a mudcat is a bull head they are good eatting the meat is a yellow color. thats why the old timer called them mud cats . they said the mud made the meat yellow. but when i was young you would eat it and wouldn't know if from a channel or blue after it was cooked. and they make great bait too.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Around here in California mudcats, yellow belly's, bullheads, all the same. I have heard that they are decent eating when young, but the bigger they get, they get a real dirt/fishy taste to them.

-Brian