Much better trip!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Sep 18, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Me and a couple of guys I know went out to Bogue Inlet on Sunday(09/17/06). We were throwing Berkley Gulp 3" white shrimp on swim jigs and finder rigs. We worked the grass flats on our way out to the inlet. The first place we stopped I caught a small sand perch, and on of my buddys caught about a foot long lizardfish. We drifted for a bit, the nosed up on a point adjacent to deeper water and I caught about an 11" gag grouper to everyones surprise!

We then moved off into the inlet and noticed some action off a sandbar. After beaching the boat and doing some wading, we were soon hook up on a double of puppy drum(redfish,red drum). I was hung on one that was 36"-40" long, way above the slot limit and unfortunatley crossed lines with my buddies 25" fish that he landed and I got broke off. Two casts later and a couple minute and I landed a beautiful top end 27" (slot 17"-27"), that weighed in right at 8lbs!

After that the fish moved out and so did we. We hooked up a with a few blues, then moved back into the grass beds. I caught a short flounder, hooked up shortly with a ladyfish, a speckled trout, then caught a tiny black grouper. One of the other guys I was fishing with caught the biggest inshore lizardfish I've ever seen, which must have been close to 18" long!

All in all a pretty good day, and I'm looking forward to getting back out there and doing it again so that I've got more stories and tips to share with all of you guys. Also in my "tips" section, I hooked my biggest fish on a finder rig, but was finding quantity with the jig. Mostly I think the finder rig made the bigger fish feel more comfortable as the had the time to check the bait over and the currently could naturally move the bait around versus having to decide to snag the moving jig combination.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish brother, congrats on the catches.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I thought I was going to be able to put a picture up here for you all to see, but after going through the trouble of resizing my picture, it's still "over quota" I'm being told. So if you'd like to see some a picture or two, PM me with a e-mail address and I will send you one.

E-mail removed from post, to contact by PM.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like the surf and inshore fising is about to peak, perfect time of year. Congrats on your catches. I head out to the coast every year maybe I'll see you there.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    sounds like u had a good trip.hope u catch some more next time u go back

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, next time I've got a couple of different things I'll try. But this is definately a technique that I'm going to fall back on. Gulp! baits rule by the way!

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

were the mullet running yet? if they were a cast net and some finder rigs along with your gulp shrimp would be a dangerous combo.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the report, I'll make it there before the year is over, I want to hit Kingfish season, anyone want to do a charter trip together?

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You might not have to charter a boat to catch one. My buddy was shark fishing from the point that day and hooked about a 30lb fish that got to the beach before the hook came out. They've been hitting quite a few right in the inlet and off the piers.

Oh, and yes, the mullet were in. Not in force, but there were a few around. Just didn't have a cast net with me.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know we don't have too, but one of my dads best friends is a charter and gives us a special deal, and we will catch a lot more then we would off the pier or surf.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well if the price is right, just let me know and I'm game! I've never been out on a charter in account that I can never afford to go.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, the way we were going to do it is, get about 4-5 people to go and then we wouldn't have to pay as much each to go. I'll let you know if or when we do it, and you're welcome to come.

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Zakk let me know if your looking for another person.....

just returned from a week long vacation trip down to topsail, c wernett wish I had known that info about the Berkley gulp bait before my trip we tried drifting and anchoring had one big run we were using cut jumping mullet on Carolina rigs that we caught out of a cast net....

The jumping mullet were thick in the inlet..we caught about 20 in the cast net on one throw....

We fished in the ocean one day went about 20 miles out hoping for some grouper but no such luck...I caught an 18" spanish mackerel and about a 4' long shark and a bunch of little fish. Reports said the grouper bite was on about 50 miles out but we couldn't go that far....

I had a big fish hooked up while we were fishing from the pier, but he wasn't ready to be caught and took me under the pier opposite direction I was fishing I tried to stop him but he straightened out my swivel and got off....

I only fish saltwater a couple times a year so I have allot to learn....

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok John, sounds like you still had a good time but it always sucks to lose a big fish like that.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    That is why i love saltwater fishing so much, there is so much of a variety of fish to catch, i rarely go when i don't catch at least 3 different species of fish.

Wheelmobile07