mtrimble where are you - math prob?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i saw a scroll at the bottom of the screen on fox earlier that said a 120 year old math problem had been solved...something about if it was on paper it would cover manhatten..anyone know anything about this? it sounds pretty interesting to me.

i couldn't find anything on web search about it.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

3. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eye never were gud at them ol rithmatickz butt it luks pritty alot like thinkin hard abowt it wud make em b able two solv it. nise poast! :) haha just kidding. I never was good at math tho!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's way beyond me. I have enough trouble with chord inversions.

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELL THATS A NEW ONE ON ME.LOL , WHERE DO THEY COME UP WITH THESE THINGS? HERE I THOUGHT I HAD PROBLEMS DOING MY TAVES EACH YEAR.LOL

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I know is that 1 and 1 is still 2. LOL!

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I see Big G has progressed from counting on his fingers to counting his...................Oh, never mind.:embarassed:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Simple math problems like that one Phil are no problem for me because I had the imutable laws of female mathematics explained to me by my now departed first wife.One day I said "babe do you have change for a ten?"Sure she purrs and takes my ten and gives me 2 ones,puts my ten in her purse and walks away.I say WHOA wait a minute you gave me 2$ and you owe me eight more.(Men are eternal optimists).No baby she coos ,You gave me one money(holding up the ten) and I gave you 2 monies (pointing at the 2 one dollar bills) you owe me one more money,with which she removed another ten from my wallet.Now we are even says she.FirmlyClutching my poor depleted wallet I beat a hasty retreat from the area,leaving the family financial matters in the resident experts' hands.:smile2: :eek:oooh: :wink: :big_smile: Sort of like when they come back from shopping and say HONEY I saved 175$ dollars today by only spending 75$ on these shoes.OK says I let me have the 175$ and I'll put it in the piggy bank.This usually results in a disgusted look and some under the breath muttering about how men dont really understand money matters.If they gave that problem to my wife it would have been solved in about 10 minutes and poor Manhatten wouldn't have been covered in paper either.:big_smile: :roll_eyes: :wink:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, Greg, this thing looks pretty easy compared to tax math:lol:

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    From what I can gather this thing is a mathematical object in well over 200 dimensions. It is the most symmetrical thing known to exist in mathematics to date. The best way to ponder it is to think of a crystal that is symmetrical in over 200 dimensions. For instance, a cube is a three dimensional object that is symmetrical in many ways: left right, up down, front back, 90 degrees, 45 degrees, ect ect. This thing is probably symmetrical in millions or billions of ways. It is basically a strange mathematical crystal and the most complex one to date.

Not sure if that helps since we can only visualize 3 dimensions but dimensions can be thought of a just variables.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like Star Trek to me. I read it, and still not a clue what it is. Will it effect my life somehow? How can we prepair?

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, Matt, that does help........i have long been fascinated by the string theory and this tying that theory up neatly is just very interesting. i know and understand very little about it.

help me out here if i am wrong.doesn't conventional wisdom hold that there are 3 dimensions? for the super string theory to work, doesn't there have to something like 11 or more dimensions?

i think about where Christ appeared in the upstairs room in acts - why could He not have simply walked out of one dimension into another? several instances of His eluding people that would easily be explained by such use of dimensions.....

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Actually, it *may* affect your life, most definitely your childrens lives... Though, you won't know its from this, but it will affect you in many many ways...Think of the 1960's Space program, while most people thought it awsome we got somebody on the moon, most do not realize all the things we use on a daily basis from it. From WD-40, Titanium, Teflon, some plexiglass etc, etc, to medical/health/science advancements.. You could go on an on..

In the same vein as this, I expect to see some MAJOR medical breakthrough from getting the Human GNOME mapped as well...

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Those would be the physical dimensions in which matter exists. That is more of a physics problem. In math a dimension is just a variable. For instance, if your looking at a plant's growth, the plants mass, the level of nitrogen, the level of phosphorous, the Ph, the amount of water, the amount of light would all be considered dimensions in the model. Here we already have more than three dimensions governing a plant's growth. String theory needs around eleven to describe how basic matter behaves.

We can make pictures of models in three dimensions. One neat thing is that the shadow of a four dimensional object is a three dimensional object, just as the three dimensional object has a two dimensional shadow.

One other thing I should mention is that mathematicians never consider what a particular dimension represents in physical reality, they only care about the relationship that exists between the variables (dimensions.) An example is string theory, the basic relationship was postulated by a mathematician quite awhile ago. It was some type of mathematical model for how a one dimensional string vibrates. The mathematician never considered its physical implications and probably didnt care about them anyway. Usually a physicist will come along, notice something in math and realize its application.

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Your probably right. This thing probably will have an application somewhere down the road but the application wont be found by a mathematician. It will be found by a scientist who is aware of this thing that has been discovered by mathematicians.

Mathematicians dont really live in the real world. However, many of them will argue that the math world is really the real world while the rest of us live in its reflection. Almost like Plato's forms.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    gee thanks, now my brain hurts

17. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man, now that don't sound like a bunch of catfisherman talkin does it!!!!!!!!!!!