Mtn Island

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shrewboy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bite has been good on Mtn Island for the month of July. Been going out before work once a week with some overtime build up. July 23 caught 15+ cats in the 2-8 pd range and one 10pd flathead.

Yesterday morning (7-30-09) landed 15-20 cats in the 2-6 pound range plus landed a 24 pd flathead that hit the bait like a big blue. I was very suprise to see a flathead on the hook.

All fish caught between 7-9:30am drifting using mostly left over stripper parts and herring. Caught all in 20-30 ft range while drifting. Earlier in the month I was landing larger size blues. Don't know what is different. Hopefully I will find some time one weekend to figure it out rather than having to worry about getting to work.

Is anyone else doing as well or better on Mtn Island?

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the report Rob. I gotta get back over there and do some driftin.:cool2: working all this weekend and about to go crazy.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....Is anyone else doing as well or better on Mtn Island?..."

I fished there two days in July on the 20th and 21st. I caught nine fish the first day and 19 the second. It took a while to figure out where the fish were the first day, and the second day they were in the same general depth range, which was 29-32 feet then.

Creeks and coves did not produce fish, nor did the river. Everything was assoicated to the river channel. No fish as big as your flatheads though. All were 3-8 pound blues.