Mtn Island Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shrewboy, May 28, 2008.

1. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Finely got out for the first time this month (5-25-08) and tried in the back of gar creek cove around 5:15am. I was using frozen perch and shad. No takes until I caught some fresh bream. I caught a small channel and missed a few.

Then I decided to go up the river about half way to the dam. I did about a half mile drift down stream with no hits.

Then I tried the McDowell creek cove and only got a couple of small hits.

Fished about 3.5 hours and only the one fish. According to my pool thermometer, the water temps in the coves was about 75-76 degrees and the river was about 71 degrees.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Those temps are consistent with Wylie and Norman. Too bad the bite was no better. You may be right in the middle of the spawn there.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on your catches, glad to hear that you had some luck I know last week I went fishing with my dad, and didnt have much luck but I noticed that the water was still really chilly I figured once, the water temps warm up the fish should start biting better.

4. mountainislandlake

mountainislandlake New Member

State:
    NC
    Shrew-

I live up in Drake Cove and have had good luck over the last week fishing with large minnows and cutbait off of my dock. Fishing early morning til noon in 5-8 feet of water in the cove. We are primarily using corks and floating the bait weightless about 10 inches below the cork. I am having no luck in the evenings yet, only the mornings.

Caught a 15 lb blue, 7 others from 1-6 lbs, and a large gar on memorial day. Past few evenings I have tried with no luck at all.

5. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Mountainislandlake! Since I don't know the names of all the coves, could you help me by letting me know which one is called Drake cove? I'm also wondering what the name of the cove that is located up stream of the hyw 16 bridge? Its the one that forks and has no wake bouys in the entire cove. Thanks for any help!

6. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    I think it is Nance cove that forks w/the no wake buoy's. In the winter in years past there is usually threadfins in the shallows way in the back. The birds will guide you right to them on most days. I might be wrong on the cove name, maybe MIL knows the real name.

7. mountainislandlake

mountainislandlake New Member

State:
    NC
    I am pretty sure that Pier Pressure is right on that cove being called Nance Cove. I am new to fishing this lake, so I am still learning myself.

If you leave gar creek and hang a right at the main channel about two coves up on the right is drake cove. There is a big A-frame on the point on the right (blue house with large windows) hang a right there into the cove and that is Drake Cove. I fished Saturday morning for about 2 hours off the dock. One nice little blue probably around 10 lbs and 4 1-3 lb channels. The blue was still full of eggs which Kind of surprised me. Thought they would be all laid out by now.