Mt. Storm

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by JPritch, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I was thinking about heading up there this weekend and see what all the fuss is about. Is this a good time of year, or should I wait?

Also, I'll be fishing from the shore, so if anybody knows of any good spots I would really appreciate it.

2. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    yes its a good time for channels dont know if there are flatheads in there, also you could go swimming in there right now the water is so warm, good luck to you if you go.

3. Fishingbutcher

Fishingbutcher New Member

State:
    Quebec
    Hey fellas, heard it was a different type of lake, being over 100 feet deep, clear and almost bathtub warm, do the cats get to any decent size ? Two friends of mine went there last spring and were absolutely hammered by lots of 12 inch cats, they said they used over 20lbs of liver and cut fish bait over a weekend. Said they caught a couple of nice hybrid stripers, up to 5 pounds.

Sounds like it could be worth a trip, never been there myself. What do you think ?

"My business is fishing, and business is good"

4. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve fished it a few times and the action is very good but no big ones. I only live 45 minutes away. 2 of us caught over 50 on each trip and it`s a tough lake to fish. I think Mount Storm is one of the coldest places in WV. We had better luck in the back coves. The water is clear and DEEP in the main lake. You`ll have fun there is alot of fish in there.

5. Fishingbutcher

State:
    Quebec
    Thanks Allena, good to hear some feedback as I new to catfishing but starting to love it. I also heard some good things about Stonewall Jackson and Tygart, might try them out soon. My work takes me to Allentown PA and Frederick MD which aren't too far away, and my colleagues there are always ready to cast a line just about anywhere. Any info on Stonewall Jackson would be helpful !! Thanks everyone,

6. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I haven`t fished Stonewall but I`ve fished the Tygart more time than I can count. It`s loaded in places and there are some larger fish in it. let me know if I can help.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I just saw this note.

I fished Mt. Storm last year and caught a nice 16" flathead, but that was it.

I have heard that the catfish are plenteous but rather small in this lake. The water is supposedly too warm for a lot of fish. On the other hand, fishing tournaments have been held in this lake.

My biggest gripe is that there is precious little decent shore line access to this lake. The only real access is along the main highway. The best spot I found was down a four-wheeler trail to what appears to be an old boat launch, not too far up the shore from the parking area. It was easier to drive the Subaru down the trail than lug my stuff from the parking area.

Unfortunately, I found the water rather shallow in this area, and unless you are willing to wade you're going to need an awfully long cast to reach deep enough water.

I might try to kayak-fish this lake, if'n I decide to get one.

8. Fishingbutcher

State:
    Quebec
    Been a while since I've been on the post, but some workmates of mine from Allentown PA spent a recent weekend at Mt Storm and came away with sore arms from catching/releasing boatloads of small channels. They did hook up a few decent ones; they said they pulled perhaps 10 or so 16"s and a few 17"s. They also pulled in some fine bluegills and and a few hybrid stripers, the biggest about 5 lbs. They kept a few channels to cook over an open campfire; they said they camped a few miles away but didn't get the campground name.

Hope I will get down soon - love the fact we have a kayak enthusiast on board, I do most of my fishing from a canoe - and not a very expensive one at that, just one of those old standard "tupperware" types - that I won in a poker tournament 25 years ago.

Good luck to you on your next trip out !!