Mt. Storm seasonal boat launch?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jeremiad, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was reading in WV Game and Fish that there is another seasonal boat lauch other than the public boat launch off of Route 93. I'm interested in launching my fishing kayak away from the dam in shallower waters.

It seems like someone mentioned before that there is a rough launch area at the end of Grassy Ridge Road, according to Google maps. Can anyone confirm this?

I went down Grassy Ridge Road one time, but got spooked I guess. The road started looking quite rough when bearing right at the intersection noticeable on the map. Going straight leads to a Posted deadend. Everything seems well posted back there anyway.

I also noticed that there is a boat launch near the baseball diamond on the west end of the lake; I assume that this area is inaccessible, provided for power plant employees only.

Finally, I have found the public boat launch either crowded or desolate, depending on the day. Has anyone experienced any crime problems in this area?

I think it is a shame that the old access roads east of the public launch ramp have been closed. I found that driving down to the old boat launch saved a lot of walking through the woods.

Thanks for the input!

2. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was able to speak with some folks who lived on Mount Storm Lake last week. They informed me that there is no other publicly accessible boat launch on Mount Storm Lake other than the main one. This one is on land that was donated by Virginia Power (at the time) to the state for this use.

There is another boat launch that is accessible to campers at a private campground (the old K&A Campground), but is not accessible to the public due to insurance liability reasons.

I found it a very tough lake to fish due to the high winds that produced fairly large whitecaps, and this with perfectly blue skies! I have never experienced as much lake traffic either; it just was not a very good fishing lake for a small craft like mine.

I found Thomas Lake in Thomas to be an outstanding place to fish and paddle, however. With the new park and boat launch, this lake became my fishing spot of choice. Lots of cover and good, deep holes made for some great fishing opportunities; in fact, the fish alarm on my fishfinder became so annoying that I had to turn it off. I was the only one on the water, making for some peaceful fishing time.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Joel it sounds like u need to be ont thomas lake ,sounds like that would be a dream lake to fish :wink:

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Joel where is Thomas Lake? I have never heard of it.

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I didn`t realize there were any cats in Thomas Lake, I`ve bank fished it for trout and I know there were alot of bass. Did you manage to catch cats? The lake is in Thomas and it looks more like a river than a lake.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thomas Lake is in the town of Thomas, right under the US 219 bridge. In fact, cross the bridge heading south toward Parsons, then immediately turn right at the end of the bridge. Follow the dirt road to the end and you will find the newly completed park (albeit small park) complete with handicap-accessible fishing pier, boat ramp, porta-jon, and picnic pavillion. There's quite a bit packed in a small space among the trees.

The lake is narrow, but fairly long. I paddled the length of it, and was so impressed by its beauty that I must admit I stowed the poles more than wet the lines! :embarassed: It was a blast following the beavers around.

There are reported to be flatties in this lake, albeit I did not connect with any. Mud cats are mostly found here. I did connect with some fiesty bluegills, though.

Here is a view of the lake: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I live in thomas and the lake is a good place to fish. In the spring Trout, summer small and largemouth. there are Bullhead cats, lots of them, But NO flats that I know of.