Mt Storm Lake

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by buckmasterben3, May 14, 2008.

1. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    Do you guy think the cat would be biting at Mt Storm now?
    And how can i find out the current water temperature ?

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The channels at Mt Storm bite almost year round.I am sure their on fire right now.Water temps should be mid 60's.

Just search for Mt Storm on google and it should take you to the ACoE Site telling the water temp and conditions.

3. buckmasterben3

State:
    wv
    thanks Jerry i didnt think of ACoE

4. buckmasterben3

State:
    wv
    i went to the lake yesterday, its was raining all day, we caught alot but not one was over 10 inches.

why are the channels so stunted?

also my dad caught a striper about 18 inches long.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Its the sheer numbers of the catfish that make them stunted and I am sure the colder water makes them grow slower also.

Good Job I didnt catch anything today lol

6. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I live within an hour and have fished that lake a few times. I`ve only caught or seen caught, up to 12" channels. The water in the main part of the lake is warmer even in the winter than the back water. That should lead to faster growing but it doesn`t seem to. With the shear numbers( 2 of us put over 80 in the boat once) my take on it, is food. I`ve bass fished and caught decent ones but when it comes to bluegill that`s another thing I`ve seen. You have to work you buns off to catch a few. They are very scattered. Maybe they should consider putting some type of minnows and other bait fish in. I`m not an authority on this type of stuff but just my observations.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Mt. Storm is a very warm lake because it is used as a cooling reservoir for the power plant. Because of the warmth of the lake, the lake is a preferred scuba training dive site, as you are probably already aware.

The lake is unique in that, despite its warmth, it is very sterile. There is some vegetation in places around the lake, but not enough to support the fishery at the population level that it reaches due to the warmth.

Catfish are too numerous in this lake for their own good. This is why there are no creel or possession limits on catfish, nor prohibitions on trot lines or drop lines used for catfish.

I guess I should consider myself blessed to have caught a 16" channel catfish there two years ago! It was strange; he bit like a trout, jumping to catch a spinner as it hit the water. He was a keeper, believe me!

8. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    The vegetation angle is one I hadn`t thought of. Also helps explain the lack of bait fish. I don`t doubt you caught a nice one, there has to be a few breeders in there. I`ve never had a chance to catch any nice ones. With the power plant dams over the country, it seems the DNR could do something to help the fish populations. With the size and depth of the lake and with the right management it could be a major fishery for cats.

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I am planning my annual trip to Canaan Valley this year, and plan to do some fishing at Mt. Storm.

Has anyone been fishing Mt. Storm lately? How's the lake doing?

I did notice that the Stony River Reservoir below Mt. Storm has been drained.

Thanks for any information!