Mt. Storm Lake

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jeremiad, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Any update on how fishing is at Mt. Storm, anyone? I'm preparing to make my annual pilgramage to fish this lake. I assume the channel catfish creel and possession limits are still wide open.

I don't know why I love fishing this lake. It has to be the most bone-ugly lake in West Virginia with the power plant on the shore and all the windmills lining the opposite tree-line (or at least where trees used to be). But the catfish there are among the best tasting that I have ever eaten!

2. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I haven`t been up there for a few years now. Still seems to be loaded with 10-14 inchers though. You`re right about the taste that is on clen lake . You can see the bottom at 20` when it`s not stirred up.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Bank fishing ? What bait ? Presentation ? night fishing ?

4. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    The lake is indeed very clean, to the point of being sterile, from what I've read. Because the power plant uses the lake as a cooling reservoir, the lake is always several degrees warmer than the surrounding air. In fact, diving schools use this lake for practice throughout the year, especially in winter when other lakes are too cold.

I tried fishing before daylight there, and found the fog thick, more like steam. It was actually oppressively muggy on the shore!

I was blessed to catch a 16" catfish, which I thought was small, but turns out to be about as big as I can expect to catch. I wouldn't mind finding more of them!

I plan to be fishing from a kayak late in the evening. Chicken livers are the bait most used on this lake for catfish, from what I've seen and read.

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve been there when divers were in there. They stay more to the section running paralelle to the road. If you head away from the boat ramp and take the right fork after the plant it`s pretty decent back in that area and not real deep. If you have a depth finder you`ll see water over 150 ft before coming to the bank just across from the ramp. That`s the deepest we found. I`ve yet to see a 16 inch one there so you did get a whopper.

6. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great input, Allen. I had heard that there was good catfishing straight across from the boat ramp near the opposite shore, too.

I also caught a few small walleye over on the riprap bank nearest the dam during the heat of the day, which I thought was interesting.

The 16" catfish got me hooked on Mt. Storm, probably to my own hurt, considering there is probably far better fishing elsewhere. One of the first casts I made into the lake was from the bank near the old boat ramp (before they closed off the access road). I cast a spinner, and the catfish literally leaped out of the water and swallowed it. I couldn't believe it! It also was the best looking fish I have ever caught.