Mt. Island Tournament Roll Call

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Feb 18, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok folks. It is time for the roll call for the Mt. Island Lake NCCATS tournament.

WHO'S COMMIN???

I will be there fishing it with Billfish76, and rumor has it that LakeNormanBlues will be defending his NCCATS points race lead by fishing with Price!!

My prediction for the Mt. Island tournament:

Winning Weight: 54 pounds
    Big Fish: 22 pounds

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Im going to try and make it but havent fished there since the last one. So im going to be lost .But whats new.:smile2:

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Ive never seen the lake so I guess I'll pass on this one.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Team Gander Mtn. (Price and LKNB) will be there. Total weigh estimated at 79 pounds and big cat coming in at 38 pounds. This is one lake that can make you a hero or a zero. ISYN

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Nope, big cat will be right at 41 lbs. Phillip will catch it. You guys will win at close to 83.6 lbs. Heroes.

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...This is one lake that can make you a hero or a zero. ..."

No truer words were ever spoken. :wink:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man I wish I could get up there and fish one of those tournaments. I'd just be donating my money, but it'd be great to compete in a catfish tournament and meet some of you guys. Oh well, maybe one day. Just as a question, when is the tournament?

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Wes, this Saturday from 7 AM to 3 PM.

9. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am praying and begging big cats to bite this weekend. MIL can be feast or famine though, but big cats are there if you can trick them into pulling on your hook.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The word on the street is that LakeNormanBlues paid you to NOT show up at the CCC meeting last week so that you would not give away any secrets.

BTW Price, you owe me one piece of bait....LakeNormanBlues knows what I am talking about. :wink:

11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Hows catching bait at Mtn Island this year ?:big_smile:

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Jeremy, you better bring bait with you!! :eek:oooh:

Billfish76 and myself tried to catch bait up there one time and it was not a fun experience. It is not the best bait catching lake around, at least it was not for us.

13. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would definitely bring the bait with you. I fish Mtn Island all the time and I have a hard time catching bait as well. Some days are good and other are bad. I always have frozen bait with me.

Good luck to everyone, hope to see you guys at the weight in with the big fish.

FYI - Don't ask where the fish are. I've tried to fish the lake this winter for the first time, and I have caught next to nothing.:confused2:

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya ya ya Shrewboy. He kicked everyones tail in the Carolinas Catfish Club tournament there last fall, so don't let him sing the blues too much!! He knows where they are!!! :wink:

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    This goes back to the old saying " beat me once..shame on you..beat me twice ..shame on me" right?:smile2:

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Very true Catfishrus!!

Hey, BTW, are you fishing MIL?? You are just a few pounds out of the point lead. All you have to do is be able to keep up with Price in his boat and you will be able to catch fish!!!

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well i would love to fish it and to be honest i havent made my mind up but my thinking is stick with what you know and for me that would be Badin in this case. I dont think i even have a chance at the points championship with highrock and norman coming into play. They all good places to fish, i just havent put my time in these places. I want to learn highrock this year ...well as much as i can. So my game plan is to stick with badin because i have two chances at a 1000.00 pay out plus there is another small event coming up there too. With enough practice at badin i have a long shot to still come out of badin in the lead on the points. Its a long shot but possible with badin. Still alot of fishing left and some top notch fisherman in the NCCATS for me to be worried about points. Im not at that level yet but learning. I would be just as happy to win one of these events at badin and thats a long shot too....:smile2: Im going to give badin all i got though.:wink: I think im going to pull for Mac to win the points this year just not at badin okay Mac.:big_smile:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Im not at that level yet but learning..."

The only thing they have on you is more time on certain lakes. You are at that level and more than capable of competing against them.

The biggest thing in winning a points race is fishing EVERY event. Not everyone has a great day every tournament, but not weighing in something makes someones bad day a little bit better than yours.

I think you need to fish it and give it a run as long as you can. If you do not win it will at least build your confidence for future series.

19. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    WylieCat, I agree with you about PrimeTime (aka, Catfishrus), he is there, he just has to decide to do it. That goes for a lot of fishermen in the Piedmont (both NC and SC). But, times are hard out thar and $80 to enter, plus your gas expense, etc. mounts up and your rewards will not necessary equal your expense for all the trail. Best I can figure, if you place in the top three in all the tournaments, you can come out ahead and that ain't easy. But, the plus side is that you are fishing and competing against the best in the Piedmont and in one of the best run tournament trails in our area.

20. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The weather over the next 48 hours in the MIL area does not look promising. That is the biggest difference in trophy fishing and tourney fishing. The date is set for a tourney, and I would pick the best dates on many factors if trophy fishing. If the weather stays as they predict the fishing will be difficult to say the least. The thing about that is that everyone there will be fishing under the same conditions.