Mt. Island Lake in North Carolina.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rgardn12, May 11, 2009.

1. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I see a lot of reports for Lake Norman, some for Wylie and even Badin. Just wondering if anyone has had some good luck fishing in Mt. Island Lake for cats?

2. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    BTW I am new here, I live right down brookshire blvd. from Mt. Island. I am 19 and just got me a 12' aluminum Jon Boat that I am working on getting repainted and ready for the water. I've been shore bound for quite a few years since my uncle sold his boat so I'm just trying to get an idea of where to go in Mt. Island to have so decent luck.

3. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    mt island is a great lake for big blues,if i remember correctly there was a tournament back in March and it was 19 degrees at the start of the tournament,i think the winning total was 2 fish in the 30# each range,but there is some great catfishing there.i plan on fishing it in a few weeks.

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    welcome to the BOC there are a few who fish it maybe one of them will help you out when they find this post good luck

5. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have heard about quite a few large cats up by the dam area... and there use to be an old VW Van by the Island I was told housed quite a few big fish but they pulled that out of the water.

What water depth and bait is best for blues this time of year?

6. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    will you be fishing from a boat

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Just wondering if anyone has had some good luck fishing in Mt. Island Lake for cats?...."

I have seen 50-60 pounders come from the lake, but the lake is hit or miss. Feast or famine. It is a small resevoir, but challenging. Most folks come out to the lake, have a bad day, and never go back. I have been spanked, and rewarded on the lake.

Current seems to be an important factor. :wink:

Personally, I think an angler that commits 8-10 days to fishing the lake will come away with a new avatar fish. :wink:

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I went friday. Water was pretty blue as an aquarium. I didnt get a bite but it was a short day, except for bream.
    Not making excuses but We had a couple hours of fog and a couple hours of fishing before the lightning started so we bolted. We didnt find any shad while cast netting during the fog.
    We also had all the socks out while drifing and couldnt slow the boat down very well due to the gusts.
    I am ready to go back and give it a try again real soon.
    Somebody throw a meet and greet time some saturday and a probably a few people will show up.

9. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Yea my experience with the lake has been pretty hit or miss myself... I've caught a few good eating size cats out there and kept them but nothing huge. So I will definitely agree with that statement...

I will be fishing from a boat, a 12ft aluminum V-bottom as soon as I get it in the water... Until then my friend just was given his grandfather's 14ft jon boat so this friday we will be out on it... White V hull with 7.5hp on it, if anyone happens to be out there and sees us give us a yell. I would be out there saturday and would love to meet the local catfish guys but its prom night for him and my boat is being repainted

(hmmm what a pain when you don't have a media blaster lol +1 for raw fingers from sandpaper)

10. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry for the late reply. Wednesday (5-13-09) night was my 5th time out on Mtn Island lake and I finely had a good night. I fished in the lower part of the river and caught 12 in 5 hours with the water moving. Water temp was 71 degrees. I caught:
    1 - 21 pd flathead
    2 - 15 pd blues
    1 - 14 pd blue
    2 - 12 pd blues
    2 - 10.5 pd blues
    4 (2-4)pd mix blues and channels

Every one of the blue fish were every dark in color except one. Does anyone know why this is so? I'm guessing that it has something to do with the spawn sitting in a cavity. One of the fish was beat up from fighting as well.

11. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the report Rob, were you fishing before you get to duck cove or after you pass it? about what time were you fishing? and were you using cut bait, live bait, or commercial bait?

thanks.

12. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was fishing with cut bluegill down stream from duck cove. I fished from 5pm to 10pm.

13. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome... thank you much. good friend of mine I talked to today said he caught a 21" Channel two nights ago one cove over from the Neck rd. boat access on a worm and bobber. the friend with him caught tons of white bass in the area too.

14. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    the darker color can be from being in shallow water, fish with skin tend to tan like humans, when i lived at the coast we would catch sand sharks in the summer that were black from being in 2-4' water and go off the coast and catch the same fish and there color would be normal, fish like humans change colors due to stress also (low O2 levels cause darker colors in there lips and mouth also,)

15. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Planning on going out to a couple places on Mt. Island this week before the races and speed street, hoping to catch some bluegill to use as cut bait.. I'll post a report and let you know how it was.

16. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    BTW something I've been meaning to ask you guys... I've been looking for a Hydrographic map of Mt. Island lake because my fishing partner and I have yet to purchase a depth/fish finder. Does ANYONE know where to get one of these for Mt. Island Lake? I've seen them for Lake Norman but not Mt. Island.

17. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I have had lots of luck fishing MIL , as it is one of my home lakes. Sometimes the bite is slow , but I have a few sweet spots that I am unable to mention. Mostly channels and the occasional insane striper that wants to skin my hands. Try going on a warm night from Neck Road or Riverbend. Only thing about the latter , it has its share of nuts and just plain stupid fools who wish to ruin everyone elses time , so exercise caution.:cool2:

Mason S. Burton

18. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The 2 maps I have are combinded with Wylie. When I bought them I was getting them for Wylie and on the other side is Mt Island. They dont give that good of detail for Mt Island but any little bit helps. My GPS with the navionics 09 chip doesnt have it on it. I just have a blue area showing water, no detail.

19. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Went fishing yesterday around 3-8 pm, used minnows and worms... fished both coves on either side of the entrance to Gar Creek. Didn't catch anything in either cove, did see a 1.5ft long Carp.

Moved down a cove towards riverbend rd boat landing and caught a few bluegill... but def. had no luck with any catfish or any other fish for that matter.

20. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Cameron,
    I will likely be on MIL saturday. I may be fishing mid-day if the wife wants to go. If not I will be out there sat night. Give me a shout if you see a 19' triumph bay with red accents.
    I havent had issues at riverbend. what is the deal? Do i need to know something? :crazy: