Mt. Island lake in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Mar 19, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    can anyone give me some advice on fishing mt. island lake. mainly is there bait and where at. never even seen the lake so please help. going to try it this week. thanks

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Everytime I have fished Mt. Island the fish have been in different places. Of course they were probably in the same places, but what I was doing was effective in different places each time.

Some guys run up the lake to where it narrows down more to pursue flatheads. There are some good blues in the lower lake, and all of the ones I have caught have been along the edges of channels near deeper water.

As for bait, I have not caught bait on Mt. Island. Each time I brought it with me.

One more thing, don't leave anything in your truck if you use a public access. I had my truck broken into and there were five other cars in the lot that had stuff stolen. It is an isolated parking area and easy for thieves to hit.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the information wyliecat. did you anchor or drift fish when you where there. i think the boat landing problems are everywhere at one time or another. i heard about a weed problem on the bottom for drift fishing. i dont know if this is true or not. did you see any weed problem? maybe its a summertime thing?

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    catfishrus how about a report on mt island

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    roundhill i sent you a p.m. but i will tell here for everybody else. we finished in 7th place out of 14 teams i think. we pre fished thrusday for the first time being on the lake. we caught 1 15lb and my dad lost a giant. the fish hits so hard that he couldnt get the rod out of the rod holder. never had that to happen before. he finnally was able to get it out and made one crank on the reel and the fish pulled off.:crying: so for the tournament we fished the same areas but was unable to match it. we caught 1 fish a 11lb blue and lost another after getting it halfway in. the winning team had 3 fish around 40lbs and the big fish was 23lbs. only 1 team with 5 fish that i saw and he finished second. the fish in this lake seem to be laying along the channel ledges for the most part. didnt see many fish laying out in the river channel. nice lake and landing but i did see where people had windows broken at the landing. i didnt have any trouble but i dont think i would leave a truck parked at night there. there is some bait in the lake but scattered out from what i saw. this maybe the lesson i learned on this trip was the bait. i got bait friday night and by sat morning the bait had lost a lot of scales. i think i had way to many in the tank. i try to learn something everytime out and have a good time and we did.:)