Mt. Island Lake 9.24.07 Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Sep 24, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fished Mt. Island for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. Water temps varied from around 85 near the bridge to 82 up river. Skys were partly cloudy and there was a light wind and the barometer was steady around 1019mb.

I tried some new water around the dam, the middle lake creeks, and up river. No real good bite anywhere. I was dragging four catfish rigs and two perch rigs. In the afternoon in the very back of the creek right above the water intake plant I found some white perch in about 5-7 feet of water. By the time I was done I had 112 white perch in the cooler....yes 112.

The Carolina Catfish Club tournament is less than a month away, so I am going to have to get cracking if I plan to do any good.

2. waldorftbeagle

waldorftbeagle New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey, me and novice did not fair any better. We caught 3 cats on Saturday. All on crawlers. 2 pounds or smaller.

No nibbles on bream or perch.

We fished a bend or two up river and the dam from daylight until noon on Saturday. I thought we were doing something wrong.

Any tips?

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Any tips?..."

Ya, don't fish near me or you won't catch a thing! :big_smile:

I am learning the lake, and so far I have found no pattern worth repeating. Hopefully the bite will pick up and I can develop some things that work there.

It takes time and some tolerance of failure until you hit the combination that works.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Update on Mt. Island 10.5.07

I ventured up to Mt. Island to do some recon for the upcoming club tournament. Water was around 78 at 7:00am., wind out of the NE at 5-10, barometer was around 1022 and rose slightly to 1024 by the end of the trip. The drought continues and there was no current on the lake.

I fished the back of the Creek where I caught fish weekend before last and there was nothing. No cats or perch. I fished another hole that usuall prodcues and nothing. I did manage one small channel cat near the water intake on the main channel.

I rode up to Cowans Ford Dam and fished that area. Nice water, at least it looks nice, but again no fish. Bait all day was whiter perch and bream in various sizes. All fishing was drifting.

Overall a bad day all around. The one channel cat was all I caught fishing from 7:30am-2:15pm.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You can probably catch a sackful tomorrow. That is the way Mt. Island is.:big_smile:

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    So Wyliecat wanted to make sure there were still fish in Mt Island after the day he had yesterday, so we headed up there this morning and gave it another try. The bite wasnt the best, and there was no real pattern but we did catch 7. 2 Blues and the rest channels. We headed home early and was off the lake at 11am

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i hope you-all dont get all thear mouths sore i whould have to use soft bate thats hard to keep on the hook.