Mrs. Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    The lady of the house here....we went fishing on the Mississippi today and didn't catch a fish! We have fished the rivers in Oklahoma, but this is a different ballgame for us. We have all the rods, reels, weights, hooks and other tackle that you nice folks have recommended. Now can someone point us in the right direction to fish? We spent a pretty boring day....I read a whole book. We put in below the Melvin something lock&dam today and fished the Missouri side in some eddy water. Then went to the mouth of the Hartford Canal... nothing, nada..... I have no shame when it comes to fishing and don't mind asking for directions or help. It would be nice to catch one of them big old monster catfish, but I would be content with just seeing the pole jerk a little. Help!

2. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Remember,Blue cats associate to deep holes,current and current breaks.Example:deep holes at the end of wing dikes,rocky ledges,or outside bends.Forget current,you're out of the ballgame.some days they're on,others they aren't.Keep trying and good luck.

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Dredge, when you say deep holes, are you talking the 40-50ft holes? We fished today in water from 15-40ft. We found some wing walls today. the man said we would hit those tomorrow. I just knew that our first day on such a big old river that we would at least catch something. I really had my hopes up to catch a bunch and was so disappointed when we loaded up with nothing.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, brings back some of my old memories. Being from Oklahoma, the only salt water I'd ever seen was in the movies or on post cards. When I finally got the chance to fish in the Chesapeake Bay, I just knew baby salt water fish would start out around 20 pounds. The guy who was teaching me about salt water fishing started catch spot and croaker, about 5 inches in length and throwing them in an ice chest. I thought that we were after bait. After about 3 hours he asked if I was ready to go, and was I ever...look out fish. He was running the boat while I was rigging up my heavy poles. When he cut the motors I looked up and we were back at the ramp. I asked him where we were going and he said home. I was so terribly disappointed. Think we had like a 128 of the baits, and he offered to share with me. I very politely thanked him but told him in Oklahoma we didn't eat the bait. LOL. I later figured out how to catch the big, nice, flounders and I took him out and gave him free lessons. LOL

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dredge, I have to strongly disagree with that statement...current is your friend when if comes to those blue brutes!

Stitch and I went out Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning, we caught bait, in fact Stitch was catching enough to last for another trip out Thursday night....we caught so many fish that we actually ran out of bait! We were fishing straight line current in about 40-45 foot of water and couldn't keep more than two poles in the water for longer than 5 minutes. I was an absolute blast! I was fishing places that I never fished before and stayed away from all my "usual spots". From my experience here as of late, I haven't had much luck fishing the shallows, the fish have been in deeper water in the strong current, in some spots I had 20 ounces on the line to keep it on the bottom.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was up actually leaving the dam when you were arriving, I recognize your boat in your avatar pic. That is one large boat!

7. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    River-Rat, plenty of room in that boat...Wanna go fishing? We sure need some locals to show up how to fish the river here.

Mrs. Oklahoma

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

In Dredge's defense, I believe you must place emhasis on the comma in his sentence. He really said "Forget current (AND) you're out of the ballgame.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well, if that's what he meant than I humbly appologize! :roll_eyes:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just how big is your boat? 24'? 26'? it looked pretty dang big!

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Your boats big also Rat, just with you in it, it looks tiny.

12. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Rat
    the boat is only 22ft it looks bigger than it is. It does have a 102" beam tho.
    It handles the river better than I thought and the anchor held better than I thought it would. I was really surprised at the current because it looked a lot swifter from bank than it was once we where on the river.

We welcome cat fishing lessons.

13. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Rat,I meant to say forget current and you're out of the ballgame.Sorry for the typo.

14. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    To many late night fishing trips for rat impearing his eye sight and reading:smile2:LMAO.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mrs Oklahoma, dont fret over a an outing or two where the skunk goes home in the boat with ya :smile2: It happens to many of us even after fishing this river for decades. ESPECIALLY IN JUNE. The bite is hit or miss but fish can still be caught. I'm sure some of the guys/gals will get you pointed in the right direction. Hard to go wrong with fishing the wing dams. They are under water right now, but easy to identify by the current boiling up just below them. You can anchor up on them still, and use heavy weights to get your baits down to the bases of them if possible. Theres very little current at the bases of the wing dams due to the hydrolic effect of water, and the fish will stack in there. During active feeding periods, you can find the fish down a hundred yards or so below the wing dams on the humps that are formed from the wash outs below the dykes. In the evening hours its hard to go wrong with the flats that are prevalent up around the Alton Area. If you stay tuned to the BOC here, you'll see the patterns that are working any given week.

Like RATMAN said, right now theres quite a few fish coming from 30-50 feet of water below the wing dams. I'm finding the bite to be fairly finicky in daylight hours, and picking up in to the evening hours. This time of year its best to hole sit for 30 minutes or so before you decide to move on.

Keep at it, you guys will be finding them in no time. Try the flats just up above the confluence of the Missouri River. This area has been known to produce a hog or two.

Tight Lines.

16. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Thank you all so much for your help. We will be out next weekend trying it once again. We hit Cabellas yesterday in search of MORE rods. He finally found THE ONE that he wanted at Bluff City Tackle. So once AGAIN, we now have the adequate equipment to catch the big one...if we find 'em. We aren't known for giving up, so look for us out on the river. Don't figure there are too many big old white boats with Oklahoma registration and a little short white (did I say white?) I meant platinium haired woman in it. Motor on over and say hello. We certainly appreciate your efforts in replying to our posts and schooling us on Mississippi catfishing.

The Mrs.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ah, no worries, its what the BOC and Gateway is all about. I was thinking last night, you might want to try the outside bend (right where the river turns due south) up there also. Get up on the flats by the rock revetment and fish above the moored barges. A feller has been known to nab a kitten or two from there also. :wink:

18. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Cuz I mark an area on this Nav Chart is this where you are refering too.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Not sure where you are referring to really. Its slightly above where the sippi makes a 90 degree bend and turns due south. Theres a rock revetment there on the bend. Floatrip Willie and I caught some fish there this time last year. You'll just need to idle around up there and you'll see where i'm talking about. The moored barges will knock the current down some in there, and the fish are sometimes in there going after the shad. With this rain, anchoring up a few yards upstream from the creek entrances is a good bet also. I havnt been up there this year yet, so not positive what kind of patterns the fish are on, but it sounds like fish are being caught both shallow and deep. Keep at it you'll find em. Once you find some fish, make some good mental notes on the conditions you found them in, then go look for similiar areas. I call it 'turn'n the big river into little lakes'. Makes it easier to find fish as they usually are doing the same things. Cut asian carp seems to be the best bait right now for us down this way. The fish will usually take shad and mooneye also. Thats a great area up there but it does get slow from time to time. The All tackle world record was nabbled just below the bend there so theres always that chance you just might hang the next century + fish which is what keeps me going and going and going. :smile2:

20. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Cuz
    Couldn't get the attachment to take the file was to big but I know where you are talking about.