Moving

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Halifax, May 18, 2006.

1. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Hey everyone! I know your probably tired of the questions but I have some too. Here goes,I just took a job in Garner and before taking this job the only place I was thinking of fishing was the cape fear,but after reading some of the post It seems the nuese is quite a fishery also. I have a 16 ft john boat (not a jet drive) and a crestliner v-hull. So my questions are, I feel like the nuese is closer but am I going to be able to fish close to Garner or am I gonna have to travel closer to New Bern to put the boat in because of the water depth.If the water is to shallow close to the Garner area where would be the closest ramp be to put in at. Or would I be better off fishing Cape Fear. Good ole flathead pullage is what I am after. Strictly catch and release. Any advice would be a help.

2. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    im not really sure, ive heard a couple people say the nuese is pretty shallow and difficult to fish from a boat i believe, im sure you will start gettin some answers this evening once people start settling down after work, so you from halifax, va? im from pittsylvania county just next door. im down here in fayetteville at Ft. Bragg, i mainly fish the cape fear, and some occasional trips up to jordon lake.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I can get my 17foot semi v in around kinston, not much more upriver from that you will need a canoe in normal river levels. I fish from new bern all the way up to past kinston, sometimes you will find some pretty shallow areas but you can get through them.

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    neuse is my favorite catfish river but it is shallow untill near kinston.....that said you can hit some of the spots form kinston to smithfiled when the water is say 1500 cfs and above.........see usgs.gov....below that and you will have trouble anywhere in the neuse near smithfiels and g,boro......the roanoke river below weldon is really coming on as a blue cat fishery....blues havent been in there as long as the neuse or the fear but it is navigale from weldon on down.........mack

5. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    pulled that 1500 cfs off the top of my head...loooked at my records and 2000cfs and above would be better for your boat.....lowere that that maybe too shallow......wouldnt fish near smithfield or goldsboro if water gets over 8000cfs............mack.....i like it at 500cfs to 1200 gfs but i am in a canoe..mack

6. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Thanks for the replies. What is the water level generally around kinston and does it fluctuate alot. Mack your gonna have to school me on the cfs and gfs as far as relation to depth.