Moving to Tyler Texas, any local catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Shad Man, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well I maybe moving to Tyler Texas next summer for work. How is the catfishing in the area. I usually fish flatheads, channels and blues up here in Indiana and Ohio on the Ohio river and a few lakes. I like to fish rivers more but i have heard they are alot different down in Texas (mostly sandy and slow moving) Up here they have holes runs and riffles and wood can sometimes be hard to find. I was just curious what you guys thought of some good places around. I am comming down in a month or two and was thinking of giving a few places a try if I have time. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Guess you know there are several good lakes around Tyler to catfish in. Lake Tyler is not great, but ok. Going a little south of Tyler is Lake Palestine. Some good Catfishing in that lake. It has lots of old standing timber.
    For rivers head south west of Tyler to the Trinity. That river has a ton of flat heads in it, some whoppers. East from Tyler is the Sabine and then the Red river. I fish on the Sabine when there has been some good rain up north, otherwise it can be hard to travel up and down because of the shallows and riffles. But the Red river is the best in my opinion. I try to fish it on a long weekend and rent a cabin at one of the marinas south of Shreveport.
    Hope this helps.
    Keep those jugs a floating

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Less than an hour from Tyler is Lake Tawakoni, hands down the best catfish lake in the state, probably one of the best catfisheries in the country also.

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    That's right. I don't get that way very often. But Lake Tawakoni is close enough too. I didn't mention Lake Fork, or Caddo. I spent Memorial weekend fishing on that lake with my son. Had a good time. You should not have any trouble finding a place to go.

5. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for all the information. If all goes as planned and I end up there next summer I will have to meet up with some of you.

6. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    Richland Chambers Lake is pretty close also. Lots of nice fish have been caught there. Heading there this weekend so hopefully I'll have a fishing report on Monday.:cool2:

7. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    They are all right. Cedar Creek is also good. All those lakes you can catch fish at pretty easy. The one in profile picture was caught on Lake Tyler on saturday 8-15-09. Yes I did say Lake Tyler, a 47 lb opp. I didn't say lake Tyler was easy, but it has some big ones.

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Nice flattie Jigger.

9. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    Montecello is good for channels. the locals say dont eat them due to mercury from the powerplant but who knows!?!?

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    TAWAKONI ALL THE WAY. CAN'T BE BEAT.

11. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    there are quite a few of us that live in or around tyler so i dont think you'll have any problems find someone willing to show ya the ropes around here. there's probably twenty quality palces to catch your choice of catfish within an hours drive. my choice is the sabine. close to home and tons of blues. it can be tough at times to navigate when the waters low, but if you know how to read the river and dont mind getting your feet wet every once in a while you can get to some god fishing. if you need a fishing partner give me a holler when you get down here. i'll show you some good spots i dont mind shareing.