Moving to South Carolina!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will be moving to South Carolina in January 07 near Newberry and Lake Murray. Just wondering if anybody has any advice as far as where to go to catch monster flatheads around there. Also, I have applied to be a conservation officer with the state of S.C. (they are hiring 25 in January) and would appreciate any info on how they seem to like thier job and what the average fisherman thinks of them, thanks in advance.

2. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Nick, Well, right there at lake murray is a good place to start. I have had fair to moderate success catfishing Murray with shiners. That lake is better known for trophy bass, and trophy striper. However, I would suggest for trophy catfish, especially flatheads, well the best impoundment in the state hands down is Santee-Cooper. Shoot I would dare say it's the best catfishing in the entire U.S.ofA. for that matter. LOL. Santee is comprised of two lakes joined by a diversion canal, Lake Marion, and Lake Moultrie. I would suggest reading on these boards any info you can find regarding these lakes before I ventured out. Tight Lines!

3. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the info, are there any flatheads in lake murray or in any of the rivers in that area??

4. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Welcome to SC Nick. Look at Lake Monticello...very close to you and lots of fish. Read the boards. Historically, this is not an easy fish to be successful at but since you're close, go. You already heard about Santee. I pulled a 51 lb'r out of there in April. You're also not far from Hartwell. More Blues there than flatheads, but plenty of 30+ lb trophy fish. For river fishing, the Broad is close to you and not bad...again check out the board for more info. Best Cat river kinda close to you is the Wateree...go east of Columbia on hwy 378 and put in at the landing where river crosses. Plenty of biguns in there. Good luck and keep us advised.

5. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    The flathead in my avatar came out of hartwell. I've also seen a 46 and 49lb flathead come out of hartwell this year in a tournament I fish.