Moving to Rockford Area of Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by armynavy, Mar 26, 2006.

1. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will be moving to the rockford area around the end of may if anyone could tell me where the best places are to fish in this area, where there might be some houses to rent or just anything about the area would be awesome.

2. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rockford has plenty of good fishing in the Rock River. South of town, in Byron and Oregon, are public launches along Rte2. I have fished these areas w/ good success. I believe the state record Blue was taken a few years ago just below the Oregon dam. I typically stay off the Rock in Rockford as there are too many pontoons and other boats. Also, the Kish runs along the east side of town and is a great canoeing river or jon boat river. To the west is the the Pec which is much smaller than the Rock or the Kish, but has great fishing as well.

As for housing etc., try to stay out of SD 205, the taxes are high and the school district is broke financially. Pecatonica, Machesnney Park, Loves Park, South Beloit, are all nice towns. Don't get me wrong, Rockford is a great city and has many good things going for it, but it relys on the manufacturing industry which is tenuous at best.

Good Luck and welcome to N. IL.

3. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you for the information I will keep that in mind when I go up there the 3 of April.

4. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Alot of good fishing on the Rock River in Rockford, north of Rockford in Roscoe and Rockton (my home town) and to the south around Oregen and Dixon. My house may be for Rent in Rockton In the next couple of months.

5. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the heads up, FireCat, I sent you a PM.

6. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    I have not fished the Rock myself but I have heard some very good things about that river, big flatheads and good channels. Late last year I was working at 15 floor apartment complex, right on the river at Whitman St and North main. I saw two guys set about 10 trot lines and in a matter of an hour I saw them pull atleast 5 fish off of each line. I couldn't believe it and was going to fish the river a couple of weeks later but then it frozen over right after. I will be out there atleast once this year just to give it a shot.

7. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    It is a great river, you can fill a freezer with eaten size channels in a nite or pull a 40+ lbs Flathead, you just never know. Anything south of Latham Rd bridge I dont know to well, but north to the state line I can navigate in my sleep. Anytime you want to give it a shot dro me a line.

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We will defiently do that firecat just as soon as I get there and get settled, cause to me there is nothing better than a flathead be it 2lbs or 40+.