Moving to Rock Falls - Best catfishing locations?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Butchy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Hey guys,
    I just accepted a lineman apprenticeship for the city of Rock Falls and I'll be moving there at the end of the month. I can't wait to fish the Rock River and hopefully meet some of you guys that fish up there. Any information on where to fish, when to fish, and all that would be appreciated.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Butchy congrats on the new job. Rock river. Wow great flaties and channels. Good luck and take care.

3. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Thanks Bearcat. I don't know if I'm more excited about the job or the river. Probably the job but the river is going to be alot of fun.

4. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I fish the river all the time. We will have to hook up hoss.

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Not that far from the Quad Cities either....

Ray

6. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Are there any blues caught out of the Rock? I've read that there are alot of flatheads and somewhere I read that you could even get into a sturgeon, is that true?

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think they catch any Blues in the Rock to speak of.

As far as fishing around Rock Falls, some big cats get taken on the Rock between Rock Falls and Prophetstown. The Rock has a lot of shallow areas, and a LOT of hardbottom. Best to know where the safer areas are to run your boat in, unless you're using a jet-drive.

The river is good around the Dixon area too, which is just a little upstream from Rock falls.

Monster flatheads live in that river...there's guys who catch-photo-release some real beauties!

Shawn

8. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Welcome aboard! Welcome to the area!

I live 5 miles north of Sterling - just accross the river! Big Flats in the rock!

PM me when you get here and we will exchange phone #'s -

Never saw a blue in the Rock!

9. flatheadboy2002

flatheadboy2002 New Member

State:
    Rock river illinois
    i live right over in sterling i have flatheaded the river fr 2 years and i have landed 11 between 20 and 35lbs pm and give me your number and when spring hits will go thnx

10. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Hey,
    What do you guys use for bait up there? I read that bluegill can be hard to find.

11. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

There are a few bait shops that sell large goldfish, and some that sell bullheads. You just have to find them. There are a few lakes around here that have gills, and if you can get them, and keep them alive....

Ray

12. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    What time of year do you guys start looking for flatheads? Since the river isn't iced over are you fishing for them now?

13. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    The Flatheads may be there but I don't go after them in winter - for winter fishing of all types, Lake Carlton north of Morrison is great for ice fishing - way in the back - nice little camping state park -

You can net loads of shad on the rock for your live flathead bait - You will find some of the better flathead fishing from Moonlight Bay Marina to the dam in Dixon - or back water at Nelson Railroad bridge - Reeeeeeel shallow but if you like B@$$ you can find some big ones in there - Learn to find the holes and mark them on your GPS cause the river on the whole is shallow, 3'-4' - Water has been down the last couple of years!

Lot of shallow parts like the big open area out from Oppold Marina - It looks like a big lake but go slow and get to know it!

Hook up with Dodgeman 4x4 (Chris) he does a lot of night fishing on the Rock and knows where many of those holes are!

14. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Yeah that river is real shallow below Oppold but once you get past that everything averages out to about 15 feet or at least it did. There are some big holes with structure between there and Dixon. One hole is about 45 feet deep! Let me know when you want to go hoss and we will hook up. The channel cat I'm holding in my profile came from there just up river from the big hole. It came in at about 18 pounds. The best part about the Rock is no silver or Big head carp...at least not yet.

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've only made several trips to the Rock, but there is some amazing structure in some areas. I've been near Dixon a few times, made one trip to Erie/P-Town area, and fished channel cats near Oregon a couple times.

I'll never forget cruising downriver watching my depthfinder and seeing the bottom look like monument valley. Simply amazing.

There is a lot of deep water in some areas, but there is also structure near some of the deep water too. I have not boated a Rock flathead yet, but we had one break off on 20# test near some heavy cover... I set the hook and there was no give whatsoever...except me giving ground before we lost the fish in the wood!

I drive 1.5 hours or so to fish out there, so I catch my bait in the creek or pond close to my house and haul them with me in a 48 quart cooler with an aerator powered by 12v batter...

Shawn

16. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    I really appreciate all the replies fellas. I'll be taking you up on the offers to go fishing, but I'm not sure exactly when yet. I'm moving tomorrow, I got an apartment in Rock Falls across the street from the Shell station. Computer access will be limited. Maybe I can use one at the library, if not I'll have to wait untill the weekends when I'm back in Hillsboro. I won't have my fishing stuff with me until next week anyway. Anyway thanks again for the replies and I'm looking forward to getting togather.
    One more thing, does a good map of the Rock exist. If so how can I get one?

17. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Your best bet would be to hit the local bait shops and see what you can find. I also know that Wally World has upper Illinois fishing area maps in the Sporting goods department for sale. They run $19.95-$24.94, I can't remember the exact price.

Ray

18. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    You can get a hot spots map of the Rock River in pretty good detail until you get above the dam in Dixon. Thats when the detail really seems to drop off but it does show you a few spots to fish though.

19. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the only topo map i've seen is the fishing hot spots map which covers from Rockton south to just below Oregon dam.

is there any other?

Shawn

20. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Shawn is right on - maps are non existant from Oregon and south!

I have been compilling info for a map to post here for the Rock, Sterling-Rock Falls to Oregon! I have tapagraphal(sp) and Sat. maps as well as info from the DNR but need more info from you that fish here to finish!

If We could get those who fish the Rock to PM me with a map of holes and structures to fish and deep areas I will put it all together for a map I will post here so all brothers interested in the Rock can have better fishing days! Map will be marked with ramps, bait shops and camping - If their is any other info you guys want just ask and I will include with the log!

I will also mail a hard copy to all contributers for their personal use as a thank you for your help!

As we all know some spots change every time where out but mark them down anyway and don't forget to give up your hot spots cause some of us have already been there and many others are fishing your spot too!

If anyone want info south of the lower dam at ST-RF I don't fish that but we cuold still try to compile info - Schoe and Ray know the area down at the QCA so maybe they could put something together down there.