Moving to Richmond Virginia

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigones, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers, I just found out last week that my wife's job at Meadwestvaco is moving to Richmond this summer and since she is the one who makes the good money I guess that's where we are going. How is the fishing over that way? I have no clue about the area. I am from Ohio and do pretty well over this way. Is there any good spots in Richmond for big shovels and blues? I hear we are going to be located in the south west part but really have no idea where we are going to live. Also do yall have any recommendations for a nice neighborhood around that way. I really hate to move especially when I have no idea about anything that's there and I don't know a soul. I got to do what's best for the family though so I guess we will be ok as long is there is some good FISHING!

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Dude you've got it in your lap!! The James is awesome for big blues from Richmond down river. Flatheading is good in Richmond and above as well.

/Scott

3. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Scott is right...as always. there is no better place for blues than here at the james. it is not uncommon for someone to consistantly pull citation size fish out half the time.

Don't forget you do know people here...just check this place out and ask for a fishing partner. I don't know much about the southside of richmond so i can't speak for it in any way. I know that you can usualy get more house for your money south of the river. the west end of richmond is really nice but you pay for it too. not to mention it is very crowdes and busy. I live sorta north west of the city in Hanover county. Mechanicsville is where i live and it is sorta in the middle for getting the most of your money in a house. it is growing and i love it.

hope to see ya on the river one day.

B

4. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    Bigones, You can catch all kinds of fish around Richmond. As for the previous post about most for your money on the south side, that is kinda true but its all getting a little expensive. I live 30 mi south west of Richmond in Powhatan and a new starter home on an acre or so is in the 400 range. When yall get settled give me a shout.

5. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    Hi, my name is Butch, I live in Capon Bridge,WV. and I have to drive 4+ hours to fish the James, but I do it 12 months a year. I belong to the Virginia Catfishing Association. Check out there website at virginiacatfishassociation.com. You now live in the middle of some of the best catfishing there is . You have the James, Rappahannock, Mattaponi,Pamunkey, Chickahominy and the Potomac. All these rivers have produced fish over 50 lbs. and the James has produced fish over 80lbs. Just let me know if you need any more info. I will be glad to help.

6. Rainbo

Rainbo New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bigones, I've lived in Richmond all my life. Good fishing, good climate, reasonable cost of living. 2 hours from he Blueridge Mtns., Va Beach or Washington DC. Just like anywhere else good and bad neighborhoods. I thing you'll like it just fine.

Look around a bit, if you have qny questions feel free to ask.

7. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Bigones,

I was born there, went to college there, moved there to marry my bride, but liked the mountains too much to stay. The guys and/or gals are absolutely right about the region. GREAT FISHING. Cats in the James are getting national recognition. Their are boys here 3 to 4 hours away that can't stop talking about their annual trips to Chickahominy. In fact I guess I am going this year since they have already said my boat is going. The Chesapeake Bay (for other fish than cats) is not far at all and holds one of the most diverse and specaturlar fisheries in the nation ( my story and I am sticking to it).

When my computer crashed last year, I think:confused: I had 49 species caught (yes, international) but would have a hard time recreating it.

Tight lines and welcome to one of the greatest fishing areas I know (yes I am VA born and bred) no apologies.:)

Bo

8. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank yall for the replies. Sounds like I will be in there fishing wise.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You're lucky. You can't spit in the James down there without hitting a nice catfish.

10. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Hee Hee! "Any good Spots?" um...last year I landed 8 fish over 40lbs and lots and lots of 20-30lbrs. Most guys around here dont even bat an eye at a fish unless its 40+lbs. 60-80lb fish seem to be getting more and more common. Thats a puny little 37lb James River blue in my profile pic. Miles and miles of good catfishing water. Bank fishing options are limited tho. Anyone serious about their cats around here has a boat.