Moving to Michigan

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by whiskerbiscuit, Jul 13, 2006.

1. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Hello everyone;I'm moving to the ludington area and was wondering where am i going to catfish? Any help? Thank's..........Mike

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    lol Im moving to the upper part of Michigan will be leaveing this weekend I hope good luck on the move

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where in the U.P. are ya moving dave, I have alot of family there, not too good for the catfish, but there is a wealth of other great fishing.

Aaron

TA2D

4. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    menominie Michigan its right on green bay

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Is that in the Upper Penninsula, if so how far from Ironwood ann Bessemer would that be, myself and SudDawg will be that way around the end of September to do some Salmon and Walleye fishing, maybe we could go out and catch a mess of fish

Aaron

TA2D

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Looks like one heck of a road trip, we will be on the western part of the U.P. right on the Wisconsin border

7. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    not sure where those are I dont have a map we are south of Iorn Montain on the wisconsin border yea the up

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I will be about 15 mins from Lake Superior, looks like you will be right on Lake Michigan.

Aaron

TA2D

9. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    yea the wife is gonna manage a hotel up that way I cant wait to get up their

10. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Look's like i need to learn how to fish salmon/trout.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Why in the world would you move to Michigan when you can live in a real state and be a Buckeye?? :big_smile:

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Menominee is a good town for cats- you will see.

As for northern U.P., you can do well on trout in the yellow Dog river, in the dead river basin, and in most streams- the chocolay is a good one, just east of marquette.

Salmon, trout, splake... theyre everywhere. Whitefish will be in later in the year and you can really really get used to eating a mess of those all the time, or smoking them.
    I suggest you familiarize yourself with Pasties (pronounced pass-tees up there). Toivo and Eino's Pasty sauce is unbeatable. Only southern folks put gravy on em- remember that.

Come February you will have a rare chance to get the spawn of the burbot- a rare but delicious freshwater cod. Theyre unbeilevably ugly, but their taste is outta this world.

Get your money saved up now for a snowmobile. I have one for sale, but youre likely going to need one for most smaller winter tasks, and the road conditions arent always conducive to even a 4 wheel drive. There is a reason they tape tall sticks to the roadside markers- so they can see em up there when the snow gets deep deep. Expect to see snow till may. that is a given. Expect to dart between icebergs during the walleye opener. It is not uncommon.

Like Finnish folk music? Get used to it.

The southern part of the state is not really as bad. Its as cold but the wind off of Superior is far worse than that off of Lake Michigan.

Beyond that you will be fine.

AS FOR LUDINGTON......

Salmon Salmon
    Salmon Salmon
    Trout Trout Salmon.

Maybe I could be a bit clearer, but thats where it is at over there. You will be about 2 hours from me, about 1.5 from jspiel and tony, and about 2 hours from jross. 3.5 from Vic, Hearkitty, and Sparky. Not too far a drive for a gathering at anyone's honey holes.

this time of year salmon and trout are in 120 FOW and biting at 40. Best bait is Gander Mountain Green, and the generic spoons with the green bodies and flash stickers on em. Later in the year when they begin to move up, orange colors will work better. Get lead line and downriggers.

Other than that, youre in business!

Good luck, let us know if we can help your transition to michigan go any easier.

Sal:cool2:

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I've caught channel cats in the UP many times, in many places.
    Using live bait & slip floats for northern pike is actually a lot like catfishing, too, so you can do that if you enjoy it like I do.

From Ludington, it's just a short run down to Muskegon Lake, a fine place to catch channels and flats- but you'll need a boat.

The michigan DNR website is loaded with info on stocking, lake maps, topo maps, Master Angler & state record info by species & by water body.

I can recommend a series of books by Tom Huggler about fishing in MI.
    "Fish Michigan: 100 Lakes"
    "Fish Michigan: 50 More Lakes"
    "Fish Michigan: Northern MI Rivers"
    "Fish Michigan: Southern MI Rivers"
    Those aren't the exact titles, but search for them and you'll find them. Get a library card and you can check them out free, request them online & everything.

Welcome to Michigan!

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Pasties ROCK, they are an awesome fishing food if ya got a campfire going, wrap them in foil and let em set for about 5-10 mins and they are sooooo good!!! SudDawg does not know what he is gonna get into!!! Oh if you are ever up by Bessemer, ask about the Pub and Grub one of the best fish restaurants EVER, some of the best walleye I have ever had was served up at this tiny place.

Aaron

TA2D

15. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    My wifes aunt makes them in her cafe up their in guinn Mi. her cafe is called lynns korner Kafe &lounge its up by marquette

16. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I moved here from Northern Wisconsin and much as I liked it! The taxes and fishing is just as good and the taxes are better than there. Most places in michigan have Cats but they are either seriously not fished or lots of folks don't even know they are there. Any inland lake usually has them and most of the major rivers have them also. One thing I do miss here is the DNR listings of the fish located in different river stretches that WI does have. It's mostly go to the local bait shops and ask questions. You'll always find some closet:big_smile: Catfishermen locally to where ever ya drop into. The beauty of it is in most of the larger water if your using "big cat" size bait you'll also have the chance of catching a large Northern or Musky also. Like was mentioned from Ludington head east towards Baldwin area ( 1/2 an hour or so) and many many inland large lakes with just about any game fish your hunting for. South of there the Muskegon River and Kalamazoo Rivers have mucho Cats. On the big lake you can get into just about anything from record Cats to Huge Carp if your using the right bait. In the U.P. there's lakes and rivers famous for all of the fishing that you can think of. Welcome to Michigan and have fun. John

17. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    been to ludington on vacation a few times. awsome fishing area!

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Big time Walleye fishing there Dave...thats some excellent eating! I lived not to far from there for most of the 16 1/2 years there....Beware! Almost everything you catch up there has teeth:crazy: ...LMAO...won't be much lippin of fish...LOL Huntin is great also! Be sure to go see all the waterfalls, the Upper Peninsula is a beautiful place but the winters can be long and hard. Ice fishing is popular on the bay in the winter.:wink:

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You guys are dead on, some of the water falls on the Black river are just amazing, Another awesome place is Lake of the Clouds in Ontenoggon county, some of the old pit mines that they have filled with water are a sight to see. The scenery is breathtaking, so far this year my gramps has had a fawn born in his yard, has saw two wolves less than 100 yards away, and many coyotes and bobcats. I can't wait to go up there you guys are getting me so psyched!!!!

Aaron

TA2D

20. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Ate in Lynn's many times on the "S" curve in Gwinn...the IGA across the road has some good Pasties when lynn's is not open....LOL...near there is where I lived.:eek:oooh: