Moving to Fort Bragg

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by snooker_hooker, Jul 14, 2007.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    active duty coast guard and moving to fort bragg. i live in sc by the santee lakes. cat fishin is great here. is there any good lake around that area to fish. i dont care what fish. just would like to go.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Nick, Welcome to California. You'll have to get a new fishing license here in Calif, but you can get the serviceman discount? I have not fished the costal area, you'll have to fill me in on that. Unfortunatally, their may be some "closure areas" to contend with..... next issure... bayrunner ray

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Back to the post..... Nick, their is a old train that can be used to travel to the town of Willitts at Cal highway 101. I hear its a good ride. However, if you leave the beach and travel hwy20 to Willits, and then south on 101 to where 20 then heads to "Clear Lake" you will have Mendocino lake which is pretty good from what I have heard, and has good camping. Further on hwy 20 is "Clear Lake" and that is a "Hot spot". Here is where BOC member "not Guilty" is the man, so he can fill you in with that Lake.....I have been by it while taveling north to Oregon.... sure is good... shallow but nice LM bass and the main for you and me "Cats"

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=39.452432,-123.798666&spn=0.04341,0.053301&z=14

here is the map of Fort Bragg, area, zoom in/out and check it out..

Your in luck Nick... the Redwoods are in your back yard... some "beautiful" forest area..... "American looking"

"Shelter Cove" is north of ft. Bragg and is a place for Salmon, but you'll find out about the ocean stuff when you get "local"

How long before you make the move?, Good luck and hear from you later.

Bayrunner ray

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I would add that there are lots of rivers within a couple of hours drive that produce some excellent salmon fishing. You are also in one of the best areas for fishing Roch fish in shallow water. There are Ling Cod in good numbers to be found in less than 100' of water and Pacific Halibuts that go more than 100lbs, although I recommend that any that you catch much larger than that be returned to the water to breed.
    You'll find that you are just south of California's Lost Coast, a good stretch of coastline that is inaccessible except by boat and at Shelter Cove.
    I hope you enjoy your time on the north coast and don't miss the chance to ride The Skunk Train, it doesn't run all the way to Willits any longer but the trip to Turnaround gives you the chance to see some of the Ca. redwood forest that you can't see any other way unless you are into hiking. Don't forget to take your camera any time you are out and about, that is some of the most scenic area of Ca.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wonder if he is moving to Fort Bragg NC?
    Even though it is an Army installation you can find every branch of service utilizing the base including Coast Guard.

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Mark, Good to hear from you.... maybe your right on NC, I just thought that since he posted on CA. that he was talking about CA.

bayrunner ray

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You are correct! I didnt look at the section.:embarassed:
    I learned something today anyway.
    I learned there was a Fort Bragg Coastie station in California!

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i was kinda confused to.i spent 4 years at ft.bragg NC and i didnt know about the one in cal.either.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    It must be some kind of "commie thing" one on each side of he states, thinking no one will ever go to the other side of the states:wink:.... look what this computer age is doing to us......

bayrunnner ray

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey brother, over yonder is a mighty far piece.
    I couldnt imagine being told I had to move to California.
    My roots are deep.

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I hear ya Mark, being a native and all to Calif...... When I got drafted some 40 years ago, being stationed in Germany and N. Africa, it was only two years plus..... I have a buddy that moved to NC to retire.... He had lived here at the beach, and then moved up north/calif. with Cal. Trans, and then left them to goto a correctional facility as a guard, until second retirement.....

Thanks for the moderation..... bayrunner ray

12. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i know that it is crazy. i thought that it was in nc also. until he said no california! i said ok ca it is. it is named by the general that ran fort bragg in nc. he named it after his last base when he retired and settled down. i am heading out on my drive this friday the 20th. then flying back to get my family and then flying back. 9000 miles in 10 days. that will be fun.

13. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    Noyo Harbor has alot of Charter boats goin out, just be carefull when the Salmon are running it gets pretty crazy with people up there. Ft.Bragg is really a nice area to live, i visit there a few times a year and me and my lady love it, i think your a lucky man. its a great place to raise the kids, it can be a bit exspensive being a tourist area in the warmer months but besides that i see nothing wrong with Ft.Bragg. there is also some good crabbing up there :wink:

Sean