Moving to Cape Girardeau area

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by JKinsey, Apr 21, 2007.

1. JKinsey

JKinsey New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm in the process of moving to the Cape/Jackson area, where I just took a teaching job in Marble Hill. Having only ever fished in the local waters in West KY, I'm going to be completely lost when it comes to finding the Cats.

Anyone got any advice on the area?

I camped at Trail of Tears State Park a couple weeks ago and had planned to get out in the Mississippi a few times while I was there, but chickened out. The current was REALLY swift and there was a lot of huge junk moving downstream.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC, and Congratulations on the new job and new hometown. You are moving to a good area for catching big catfish. Theres a couple BOC folks that live down that way that I'm sure can give you some pointers. Welcome to the board.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Welcome to Missouri!!! Congrats on the new job!!! I've heard that there is some fantastic catfishing on that part of the Mississippi so when the water drops and you feel comfortable getting out there, GO and learn the river!!! Then it won't be long and you'll pulling in some big ol hogs!

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    No sorry, there's no cats down this way!! LOL

Seriously though, lots of good water in the area. Big Water - Big Fish! You're just a little north of where the Ohio meets the Mississippi. That's one of the best areas in the country for big cats.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Jordan, if you see Ol turtle out on the river down there, ya might want to follow him with the binoculars. He puts a few "hogs" in the boat everyyear. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Jordan, Welcome to Missouri. Once you get some time on the Big River you will feel right at home. And once you learn to bring in the huge fish known to the area, You will Be Addicted!!!!!!

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I am in the same boat I just moved to Sikeston which is about 30 miles south of Cape. However i do not have the luxory of having a boat so I am stuck to the bank.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jordan and Ed I would like to welcome you to the BOC. I look forward to reading your post. You are located in a catfish haven area. The mississippi/ohio produces some whoppers. Maybe one has your name on it.:lol: :smile2:

9. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I sure hope so I have never caught a cat over about 6 lbs and would really like to get a big one.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You will be beat that in just a few nights fishing. 20 pound fish are relatively common down that way. There are several fish over 40 pounds caught down that way every year too. Good Luck and Welcome to the board.

11. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I just need to find a good place to go after them.