Moving this weekend!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AllenM, May 31, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, good news! the owner of the house we're going to rent is finally getting off his duff and replacing the carpet and we'll be moving in this weekend from the look of things! It'll sure be nice to get out of these danged apartments and into a real house!! the place is great! HUGE back yard with a tin building about the size of a 3 car garage with lots of work bench space and shelves, and a garage style sliding door big enough to get my boat in and out easily! gonna start doing woodwork in there too among other hobbies... I'll finally have my "guy space"!! :big_smile: The owner allows pets, so Becca and the boys can finally get a dog too. Becca has been wanting to get a conure ever since I told her about the one I used to have as well.

Has a washer and dryer hookup, so no more having to use public laundromat or on site facilities and hope to get a machine or hope that no one messes with your wash! No more banging doors at all hours from the adjoined neighbors, ahhhhh.... peace and quiet, at last!

I HATE moving, but this will be well worth the hassle when we're done!! :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Hooray for you, Allen! Apartment living really sucks, and now you'll have room for your boat and a workshop. Hope that your really enjoy it!!!

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    really glad for you and yours! Good luck with the new place. Every guy should have his "guy space", been married for over 10yrs and my wife finally agreed to let me have my space a few yrs ago:big_smile:

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    congratulations allen, i know that my quality of life, improved greatly when i bought my house, i hope yours does the same

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats! Sounds Like a Plan! Hope you like living the quite life.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Allen congrats, glad you got to move into a house. Much better then an apartment.

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Thanks, guys! Yah, Becca even says that I'm gonna have to build her some shelves and such, so I said "Well, does that mean you're gonna buy me some POWER TOOLS?!" :0a32: and she said "Yep." She also said she wants a garden, and I'm planning on tilling up a fair section of that big old yard and growing all sorts of stuff!! No more trying to keep all my fishing gear in the kitchen closet with the water heater where things continuously get stacked in front of the door, ahhhh.... "Guy space!" I LOVE IT!!

And yes sir, I certainly do enjoy the quiet life! No more BS from spiteful idiot neighbors who have nothing better to do than cause trouble to the point I can't even let my 6 year old go out and play without having to go out and make sure none of them start trying to involve him in their garbage drama! The boys will have a HUGE yard ALL TO THEMSELVES that they can go out and play in with each other, alone, or with who ever we invite over, and NO ONE ELSE! (Supervised, of course).

No more community laundry room or trash dumpster to go out to where we gotta put up with running into these people. No more banging around from the neighbors late at night waking the kids up through the walls. No more idiot gatherings or beer parties right outside the boys bedroom window at 11:30 at night! No more wondering if or when one of them is gonna get a wild hare and decide to do something to my car or boat! I could go on and on.... If you only knew the trouble we've had with these people, JEEEEZ!! It's just about come to blows more than once!!

Heck, if the owner lets me, I might even rent a backhoe and put a small pond in the yard and gate it off for the kids safety, then stock it with fish for the boys to practice fishing in! LOL!!

I've only rented a house once before in my life, and that was back in 1994, in Kentucky. didn't know at the time that the owner built it himself and didn't insulate it for beans!! Worst winter in 50 years of course! It drove us out when the pipes all froze and burst and we couldn't keep the place heated above freezing inside between the wood stove in the livingroom and the electric wall heater in the hall!! It was fantastic in the summer and fall though, I gotta admit. It was on a hillside in a mostly undeveloped area... Op-en the back door, take two steps uphill, and you're in the woods!! I loved it until the temps dropped and we found out about the insulation issues!!

Anyhow, I'm looking VERY forward to living in this place. It's an older 2 bedroom house with small rooms and a gas furnase for heat, swamp cooler and a window unit A/C, but it's in town, in California where they actually enforce tenent rights and hold the owners and landlords responsible for the condition of rental homes, so it should be just fine when winter rolls around. Especially since it don't even snow here but about every 5 to 7 years, and even in those years it don't stick around long!

I think this coming year is gonna be a good one, guys! and I'm glad to be on the BOC sharing it with you all!

tight lines!! :wink:

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Congrats Allen sounds like a nice place.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Allen your gonna like being in a house a lot more then a apt. I have some friends that live in a apt and have had to just about fight my way to my truck to leave. Never did understand the mentality of apt dwellers that got to group up and turn into idiots. Seems like it would be the oppisite but I guess not. good luck and enjoy its a great feeling.

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, still waiting on the dang owner to get the carpet replaced so we can get this over with... I hate moving, mostly because of my bad back, but I'm sure gonna be happy once we're out of here!

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Oh man that sucks when you want to get all moved in and stuff.

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats allen, i know it will be nice for you.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Congrats, hope you have a good landlord and the place sounds great.

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

thanks guys. The landlord will be the management company we're already renting this apartment from, but the owner was supposed to have gotten the place ready for tenancy by the 1st and hasn't. Once we're in then we'll be able to call the company maintenance people for anything that needs done, but they've proven to be slower than molasses in January about getting work done here in the apartments. I'll most likely wind up doing all the repairs and improvements myself.

Gal from the company went by today to check on things and says the carpet is done in the front room (she looked through the window cause she didn't have the keys on her) and doesn't know if the back end is finished, but says we should be clear to move in Friday or Saturday.

Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed for us. I'm aching to get this over with!

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY NICE PLACE FOR BEING IN TOWN AND ALL. I'M SURE YOU ALL ARE GOING TO ENJOY IT TO NO END.SOUNDS LIKE BIG ENOUGH PLACE TO KEEP YOU BUSY AND OUT OF TROUBLE. JUST JOKING. JUST BE CAREFUL WITH THE LIFTING OF THE HEAVY STUFF IF YOU HAVE A BAD BACK.DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN LIKE IT ALMOST DID ME WHEN WE MOVED.HOPEFULLY THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR NEW HOUSE. ENJOYIT.

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, looks like the good lord had the owner of this place drag his feet for good reason! Just found out that instead of Becca getting the manager's position at the store, they're SELLING IT!! They told Becca last week that they realize the new manager they brought in is fouling up something aweful and were going to turn it over to her this week, but now they've decided to take a competitors offer to buy them out and cut their losses. Becca's previous manager, and good friend, now runs a store in Redding, and Becca is going to be transferred there temporarily as assistant manager. Some time in the next 6 months to a year there is supposed to be a store in that area opening up for a managers position and Becca was promised that slot when the time comes.

So I guess we'll be moving to Redding now! Good thing we didn't move last week end only to find out that we'll have to do it again real soon! I guess they're gonna keep Becca on at this store until the close out date cause she's one of the few people the higher ups trust to keep the place running right, but we might be moving up to Redding or Anderson ahead of time, in which case Becca would just stay with her folks here in Orland most of the week for work and come home for her days off. It bites, but it's better than her having to drive an hour on the freeway each direction while working 12 hour shifts and being new to driving on top of it all.

Anyhow, Sarah (the prev manager and friend) says there are some really nice 2 story town houses just about 2 blocks from the store in Redding that we would like, so we're going up to take alook come the end of this week. Rent is comparative to what we were going to pay for the place here, but they are almost brand new and have all the standard amenities included. Dunno yet if they have a garage to store my boat and have my "man space" like this house here, but I'm hoping so!

Anyhow, like I told Tea in another post on another topic... when one door slams shut it's likely cause God wants you to look in another direction for some reason! I'm putting my faith in Him and we'll see how it all works out. I AM looking forward to living there, nestled between Lake Shasta, Lake Trinity, and Whiskeytown Lake, not to mention the Sacramento River runs right through town, and there are about 15 or so other small lakes in the area from looking at the map.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep us in your prayers that it all works out for the best please. I'll update as things progress.

Thanks for all the wellwishing and support too! You all are a great bunch of people! :big_smile:

17. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on the new house hope you like it as much as I liked moving to my new house. Only thing I hate is the packing and unpacking.

18. AllenM

AllenM Guest

We're not getting it now. Becca's job here is closing down and we'll be looking for something out of town come the end of this week in Redding, where she'll be getting transferred to.

19. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Somebody shoot me! :crazy:

And yet ANOTHER reversal... Now rumor has it that the buyer of the store property backed out of escrow, so the company will keep and continue to run the store here in town. The regional supervisor is coming in on Wednesday and is likely going to turn the store over to Becca while he's there. The guy who is renting out that house has FINALLY gotten the needed carpet cleaning done, but as yet has not replaced the carpet in the back room, which I'm no longer sure if he is going to do, nor if so, wether it will be done before or after we move in! Anyhow, I GUESS we're getting this house in town after all! I just want to figure out where we're going and get moved already! This is getting REDICULOUS!

I'll keep you updated as I find out what is going to happen and when.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: YOU HAD BETTER WATCH OUT.THEY'LL HAVE YOU SLEEPING IN A TENT BEFORE IT'S OVER WITH. SOUNDS LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT TO DO.WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK.HOPE YOU GET THE HOUSE THIS TIME. AND THAT BECCA GETS THE PROMOTION.