Moving prop closer - further from the transom

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigfish, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    just wondering if a motor is stuggling to get on plane would you adjust the shaft pin so the prop is deeper in the water or up out of the water more. not sure of the exact terminology i should be using.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have a 14' jon with a 9.9 and I tried playing with it in different posistions. Seems keeping the prop as close to the transom as poss. helps a little but I still put some wait in the front unless i have someone in the front seat.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    You may want to look at trim tabs, or maybe throwing a few cinder blocks in the front of the boat. Moving the prop further away from the boat, if the motor is being tilted to achieve this, will push the back of the boat down into the water.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    install a Stingray or some other brand hydrofoil, i have one on each of my motors. they will get you on plane really fast.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I agree with the hydrafoil. I just purchased my first boat, had the same problem, mainly underpowered, wouldn't reach the plane. My brother-in-law, aftercats, suggested the hydrofoils, made all the difference in the world.:) Enjoying my boat and the fishing!!!

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a whale tail on my 115 merc. it gets it on plain fast. It is held on by 4 bolts. I tried it with it off and put it right back on.
    Bill

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The word you were looking for is "Trim"

Trimmed down closer to the transom will get the boat on plane quicker.

Trimmed down too far and if it's a jon boat, the bow will plow and push water and you'll never get enough speed up to plane.

On most all motors without power trim and tilt, I've found the 2nd hole up from the bottom to be the most efficient.

Even with a hydrofoil, trimmed properly makes a difference.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It depends. When you're trying to get up on plane, is the front end of the boat mushing through the water, or sticking up in the air? Moving the propeller closer to the transom (forward) will lower the front end of the boat; moving it the opposite way will lift the front end of the boat.

9. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well i appreciate all the advice, and the correct terminology. i guess i should have given a little more details. the boat is a 14' mod V with a 9.5 evinrude a 1960 something model. what we are getting out of her might be all its got. but with the adjustment it has if we trim it all the way down the front seems like its plowing through the water. if we trim it a couple clicks up the water seems to want to come straight up the transom. we usualy carry 2 batteries up front with me at 200# and ducain 200# and a battery in the back. and propably about another 30# of stuff.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yer lucky to get idle speed with that load:p

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Sounds like a bigger motor is needed. I have a 25 HP. on a 16.5' Grizzly. If I have 3 people and gear in the boat it takes it forever to get on plane.

12. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i have a 16 ft alumacraft side console, flatbottom with a 30 hp on it. when i bought the boat the pin was in hole #3. the boat took forever to get on plane. then when on plane it would cavitate. the pin was siezed and after 2 days i got it out and put a new one in on the bottom hole. it hopped up on plane and i picked up 3 mph by gps. move the pin to the bottom hole and try it. or buy a pt-35 tilt and trim like i did. it is awesome, but i still keep the pin on the bottom hole. it also gives me a 5 1/2 inch setback so my prop is in better water. the only thing is i had to go from 13 pitch to 15 cause i can trim it up and now im pushing 38 mph. i was at 27. http://www.cook-mfg.com/pt35.html
    if you want any more info about what i had done just let me know.

i guess i should have read the 2nd page before i typed this. any way have fun and maybe move the gas tank and some gear to the front.:)

13. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    just exactly what ya tryin to say:rolleyes: . yea thats what i thought. that with all the stuff we carry we are real lucky to go as fast as we do. thanks for all the input,everyone.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That year motor was made back when they were rated at the powerhead,not the prop as they are today.We often forget that the smaller motors are called fishing motors for a reason.They are made to FISH with.It sounds like you have a very good rig (boat & motor) that is doing every thing that it was made to do.It will go and do,where a smaller,or a larger rig will not.I would be proud of it and enjoy it.peewee-williams

15. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for the compliments peewee williams, that acually isnt my rig its my fishing buddies rig. we have been fishing outa it for 2 seasons now and yes we do enjoy it.

16. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have a cmc tilt trim . on a 14 jon with a 25 evenrude , a little work on the motor . lol the little boat will get u to the holes in a hurry:) :) :) . i like the cmc unit. worth the money.