Moving center console.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am going to move the center console forward in my Lowe 2070. I am currently adding hydraulic steering so that helps with the decision to move it. That leaves a wiring harness extension and longer control cables as my only other items to buy.
    My question is how far do you think I should move it forward? My main reason for moving it is to add a large livewell in the back of the boat. Should I move it just enough to add a nice size live well something like a swing back seat, or should I move it all the way up front?
    I have read in here where some of you either have you consoles up front or would like for them to be. What benefits are there in having it move forward? Besides the obvious more room in the back of the boat? I can see where that would be useful for river fishing but most of my fishing for now is on lakes.

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

2. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Dave if you put the well in the back you will draft deeper...take longer to plane .If your consol is up front you might strike it with your cast net and if you mount verticle racks on it you WILL hit it with the net and rigging.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well,
    The console is out of the boat and being prepped to move it forward 24 inches and raised 2 inches from the factory height. I am 6'4" so I need it a little taller for comfort while standing and driving.
    I decided to add a bait well under the center console while I was into this project. The bait tank is 22 gallon to the bottom of the overflow drain. I gave the corners a four inch radius and there will be insulation all around the tank. I ordered the akwa lung system for filtration.
    I cut and formed all the aluminum from 1/16 sheet aluminum and had a local welder do the welding. The weld job is not very pretty to look at but it won't leak. He tig welded the entire inside and then the entire outside of every seam. I had it full of water overnight to make sure of leaks before I install it.:big_smile: I just need to cut the holes for plumbing and install the akwa lung when it gets here.:big_smile:
    I hope a 22 gallon bait tank was worth the effort.:baffle:

I also cut and formed a 42 gallon live well and he is welding it up today and Monday. I am having him case it with 11 ga diamond plate and breaking a lid that i will mount my bench seat on top of. Should look pretty nice when finished. I will try to get some pics when finished.
    The large live well will be all the way in the back adjoining the back deck. I will still have room on either side to steep onto the rear deck with ease.

I need a good source for fitting for live wells. I have looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas, West marine, Overtons, and Ebay and still am having a hard time finding a good variety of drains, overflows, hose and spray bars.
    Can anyone suggest other sources to look for these type of items?

Suggestion on the plumbing would also be great. Such as using a separate drain in the bottom and overflow at top. Or a drain in the floor with an overflow tube. I think some Rangers use this type of overflow. My thinking is the less holes I have to cut into my aluminum tanks the fewer possibilities of leaks.:embarassed:

Thanks once again for the help.
    David

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Dave forget the spray bar and install a keep alive oxygen infusing pump. you won't be sorry.

A friend of mine took out the spray bar system from his 67 gal livewell because it wouldn't sustain fish during the hot KC summers and replaced with a the keep aive pump. We don't have that problem any more.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well after a little drama I got all the welding finished. It took going to a different welder to get it all finished but it is done. I have to pick up a larger aluminum piano hinge for the lid and a support jack to keep the lid up when needed but the welding is finished. I have to pressure check the large tank for leaks but I am confident it will be leak free. :big_smile:
    I will try to get a few pictures of the tanks in the next few days.
    I need to get all the plumbing together and get them in the boat. I need to go fishing.:0a23:

Thanks again,
    David