Moving Back to Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Chris, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Well Everyone I have less then a year left in the military. My wife and I will be moving back to our home state(Kansas). We will be living somewhere in Johnson County or Mamai county(my old stompin grounds). I would like to take everyone down to the Maris Des Cygnes river where I used to fish at.

Chris

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Short timer eh? Congratulations. I know that feels good when you are down to a year or less. Takes all the pressure off, lol. Thank you for your service and you can walk proud for the rest of your life as you have successfuly completed your service to the United States. I don't know how long you have been in, but for me it was a huge transition as I had went in when I was 17 and got out at 27 or 28 years old. That was all I knew. I am just now getting used to it 4 years later and to tell you the truth, I miss the military alot. But I will end up divorced if I went back in, lol so I guess I will keep these civies and say goodbye to the military. Anyway, I am happy for you and good luck!

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    chris, an early welcome back to Kansas to Ya. so you'll live in johnson co or joco south huh lol what part of the maris des cygnes did you fish. I'm pretty familiar with the area between lacynges lake and pleasanton. been fishing the kaw and Mo. river lately, but cut my teeth river fishin' down on the MDC. welcome back

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    There is one place off of Block Rd. and the other place is where the state torn out a bridge. Its off of a Minimum Maintenance Road its about 351st and Columbia, it just east of Columbia Rd, you cant go any farther east because of the bridge.

chris

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Not sure if I've ever fished at those locals or not I'll look in my kansas atlas and gazateer and get back to ya. are those areas hole or riffles or both. down around p-town where I used to fish a lot we would catch nice channels bouncing a chunk of cut bait down the riffles no weight or nothin. just let the current take it and give it a tug when it landed behind a rock. kinda bounce,bounce,bounce,BANG talk about fun. and at night We would set up on a gravel bar and fish holes at the bottoms of the riffles and go after the big dogs.those were the days lol I live in KCK and fish the big rivers now. Hittin a smaller river again would be fun haven't had much of a chance this season.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    the river makes about a 90 degree turn up stream with some logs on the outside bend with a small drainage ditch that comes in to the river and down stream it looks to be a small riffle. I would like to fish at the turn but its private property and the same way down stream. I dont know who the owners are but would sure like to find out. I fish right under the bridge which is part of public land.

chris

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    omg I never knew thats were you were talking about. thats the exact spot I used to fish I was friends with the landowner that spot is friggen awsume. unfortunaly he sold it a couple years ago :crying:. thats were I caught my biggest fish just above the riffle. I dont know who owns it now. I plan on talking to a family member of mine who hopefully still owns the mouth of bull creek :cross: he's pretty picky about whos on his land.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Brandon,
    I talked to the guy up the road and he told me that it was alright to fish on the left side of the bridge. I think a the guy that owns the right side name is Wheeler that is his last name from what I hear that guy is pretty crazy. A guy that I used to work with was in his boat on the river and Wheeler came down and had a few words with him. Have you fished the section of the river off of Block?

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I was looking on mapquest and the river is a ways away from block, so I'm not shure were your talking about. I've fished that bend south of henson, at the state lake, 8th street dam at oz, at the wildlife refuge south of la cygne, around ottawa, and a couple of other spots that I'm not shure about. My buddie from woork has been taking me to a few of his spots on the kaw were they grow em big and I've been favoring the kaw lately.

10. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Last time I was home, my father-n-law and I went down to 435 and Kaw river but we didnt catch nothin. I saw some big cats come out of there. If you got a boat right west of 435 there used to be a sand plant, there might still be one there, my father-n-law and his father fished by the sand plant and caught some large cats. There should be a deep channel through there because they dregded it out.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    down by bonner springs right? theirs a small wing dam near were they are drudging, acouple hundred yards or so upstrem, were some monsters lerk. we pulled out some 40s around there this year. a guy he talked to had one over 100 there :eek: and i think an 86. my buddie had one go upstream and just keep goin he tried to thumb it before he got spooled no good broke his line 40# andies and kept goin. I wish I had a boat. we bank fish mainly at night.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    This is right west of 435 and the Kaw. The spot where you fish is it public or private property? I would like to try some different spots where hardly anyone goes. I think the spot at 435 is fished way too much.

chris

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it gets fished but i dont think it gets over fished. I pm'ed you where for the reasons you mentioned. I'm the same way sometimes.

14. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris,
    When you get back, I will be more then happy to go fishing with ya bud. And I would love to try the MDC. Just let me know when you are back and when you want to go.

Dave

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I might be back this spring, my wife and I will be buying a house, I don't know how much free time then since we will be busy looking for a house. I dont get out of the military until Sept/October time frame it depends how much termial leave I take.

chris