movin back to AZ end of july tryin to plan trip for cats any suggestions?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by 514th, Jun 10, 2008.

1. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    i will be driving in from new york, so i can pretty much stop any where along the way. im limited to shore fishing, cant really afford a boat on army pay:smile2:. but im open to suggestions as to where its been hot recently. i love channel cat fishing, but im mainly interested in catching my first flathead, i tried a few times about two years ago with no success. so any advice is helpful as well.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'm not so sure about what is along that drive... But once you get into AZ, there are plenty of oportunites... First recomendation would be to fish at Roosevelt.. I heard the Salt river above Roosy is hot...

~ A

3. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It depends on how you drive here....there are tons of lakes any route you take.....my suggestion is to stop at the mississippi river when you are there...they have almost every species imaginable....and if you go for cats, you can end up battling a sturgeon, which will be something you won't ever forget.

4. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    more than likely im gonna be comin in from the north my wife wants to stop at the grand canyon,other than that i had intended to probably go to roosevelt, and possibly san carlos lake. its been a while since i got to cat fish and it may be my last opportunity again for a year or so as i may be going directly to iraq once i get to fort huachuca. i will definitely be stopping along the mississippi on my way out as i have relatives in missouri so im gonna hit that up. but mainly just want to know anything and everything about how the fishing has been around AZ because if im not goin to iraq immediately i plan to do a lot of :big_smile:fishin

5. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We drove thru PA, WV, Indiana, down to Kansas, to Texas, thru New Mexico and down from the north of AZ.

If I would have planned it better, I could have stopped in a few states to fish, but my buddy didn't have a lot of time when I drove out here so we drove straight thru...wish I would have stopped along the way.

I haven't had much luck in the area....but I think a few guys are catching flatties and channels.

6. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Josh,
    Hats off to you for going over to that mess, and when you do, be careful out there!!! I get to fish where I want cuz of guys like you!
    I would recommend taking Az Flat's tip, as from what I've seen and heard on here, the man knows what he's talkin about. Good luck on the Ole Miss, and then enjoy the Az waters all you can! If you get access to a computer over seas, check in with your brothers from the B.O.C.

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Josh thank you for your service to our country, like Lenny said its because of guys & gals like yourself that we have freedom. You can never go wrong with roosevelt especially this time of year. Good luck to you and happy fishing.:wink:

8. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Had to try and attach some photos, for when I get that big cat, so here's my fishing partner Jake "Rocket" Lamberty with some stripers from Pleasant about 5 weeks ago. Caught by the tires, and of course the bigger of the two was not caught by me.......Go figure! He did make an attempt at cleaning it though, so we're moving in the right direction.

Attached Files:

9. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    HEY LENNY THE LAMB GREAT PHOTOS AND YOUR LUCKY THAT THE ROCKET GAVE IT A TRY NOT MINE. OH NO THEY CATCH EM AND I CLEAN EM, AT TIMES I FEAL LIKE THEIR PERSONAL CHARTER SERVICES. ANYWAY GREAT PICTURES AND CONGRATS TO YOU.