Moved up in the world over Memorial Day

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Boogan1, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Well, the growing Boogan family got a real boost over the memorial day holiday. We got our place at warsaw last july and have been staying in an old 26' bumper hitch nomad camper we had. With three teenage kids, it was gettin pretty cramped. We had been looking for a bigger camper but with a young family, funds were pretty limited so I was on the lookout for a real deal. Saturday nite we were driving up to the BBQ place on 7 to have supper and as we went by Rocky Top we saw this big 5th wheel for sale. My wife wanted to look and I told her it was probably out of our price range. Well, you know how women can get and she insisted she wanted to look at it. So on sunday we went back over to take a look. Man, that thing is huge, 1982 40' Kountry Aire 5th wheel. Big awning, tinted windows, Ducted heat and A/C, washer and dryer, immaculate inside and out. I just know this thing is out of our league. The assistant manager of the park is showing it to us. I ask the price and was almost floored. Just a little out of our reach. So we go back to the camp ground and all day sunday the Mrs. is thinking up ways we can round up the funds. I make a phone call or two and scrounge up some dough. We go back to look at the camper again on monday and the assistant manager isn't there, but the manager tells us the guy who owns the camper is in the park and so are his parents. We go to their site and the guy is out fishing but the parents are there. Come to find out the dad is the original owner of the camper so he has a lot of information to share, including the fact that the son has bought another camper and really needs to sell this one and is willing to listen to offers. I give them my cell number and tell them to have him call me when he gets back from fishing. A couple of hours later he calls me so we go back over to talk to him. After a lot of lookin and tire kicking I offer him 750 less than he is asking. He comes back with 600 less and we make the deal. I had already arranged for a guy in my park to move it for me and arranged with the park for a bigger lot than the one I was on. Well we got her moved and leveled and blocked, sewer plumbed in, water and electricity hooked up and now are really livin uptown. That is one of the nicest campers I have ever been in. So now we have room for visitors so if you are in the warsaw area, come on by Pecan Grove campground and say hi, as you pull in the park we are the 5th camper on the left, the one by the red, white and blue barrels. Hard to miss that big 40' Kountry Aire! Hope to have a sign out with our name on it next weekend. Love to meet people from here so come on by and say hello. Boog

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Glen Congrats!

Sounds like you found yourself a great deal. :smile2:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: CONGRAD ON YOUR NEW CAMPER. KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BEING CROWDED. WE WENT FROM A 24 FT BUMPER HITCH TO A 5TH WHEEL . LOVE IT NOTAS BIG AS THE ONE YOU GOT. YOUR GONNA FIND OUT YOU WON'T HAVE ANYMORE ROOM IN IT IN THE LONG RUN. IT'S BIGGER THERE FORE WIFE,KIDS CAN GET MORE STUFF IN IT.BEEN THERE DONE THAT. BUT YOUR GONNA LOVE IT. AGAIN CONGRAD.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds great, Boog!

Been thinking we need to buy a cabin or something on Truman, as I'm tired of driving back and forth (drove down to the lake and back to KC on Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon during Memorial weekend...) - maybe a camper like yours is the right ticket... Hmm.... :roll_eyes:

Actually, the real solution for us would be to move back home to Warsaw permanently, but I'm a little hung up on this whole "get paid well" thing that I've got going on here in the city. Can't do that down there in the sticks...

5. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on your find. It sounds really nice. I hope it works out well for ya.

Dave

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Congrats Boog, sounds gooood to me.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the new sleeping quarters, hope she works out for ya.

Hope surgery went well also and you will heal quickly.

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    "Sticks" Marty? I'm going to revoke your Warsaw alumni membership. With your computer skills you should be able to make a living from home on the internet. I taught my wife how to ebay before she got this Restaurant and now she can teach me things about making money online. The only boss you can depend on not to go broke or fire you is YOU! Get in business for yourself and leave them city boys to their crack houses. See ya on the water!

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Ron, we've already got an internet business that does quite well - my wife runs it but I do all the accounting and web site programming - I built the entire web site from scratch, wrote the software for the shopping cart and order processing, etc. It's a retail business selling sewing supplies (thread, etc.) to little old ladies and I've been amazed at the income it generates - my wife makes the equivalent of a *good* full-time job and only has to put out about 4 or 5 hours of effort every day.

Unfortunately, it's not quite big enough that I'm willing to stake my entire livelihood on the whims of little old ladies, but we're close. If I could scale back my lifestyle a bit and find a "decent" daytime job down in Warsaw doing something tolerable, I think we could certainly make a go of it. Though it's a big risk, made even riskier when I've got two small kids at home who depend on me for food and clothing! I've got a brother-in-law in Warsaw who runs a one-man heating/AC/plumbing business and have been trying to talk him into taking me on as a 50% partner - he's got more work than he can do even though they never advertise and make their customers leave a message on the phone when they call for service. I don't know squat about that stuff but figure I could pick it up pretty quick and hopefuly not screw too much up in the process. So far, though, he's not really interested in taking my offer.

And you're absolutely right that there's no bigger motivator in the world than having your butt on the line every day in a business that you're totally responsible for - you'll never get wealthy working for "the Man"; you've got to BE the Man!