MOUTHING A BLUE CATFISH

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 27, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IF I GOT A 50 POUND BLUE WITH A GLOVE ON, WOULD IT HURT STILL, OR WOULD THAT DO IT, I GOT 15 POUNDER BUY THE MOUTH, WITH BARE HANDS

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    if i'm not in a tourney, I mouth em all. Showing off scrapes on the back of your fingers usually impresses your catfishing buddies. Gloves will help though.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I get a 50 lb blue, glove or no glove, I'll have him by the bottom lip. I never use a glove. The only time I worry about a big blue is when I'm noodling. A big blue can hurt you in the water when they start rolling.

Beside if you get a big blue and you lose a little skin it will only hurt when you grin.:smile2:

4. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    It'll probably hurt, but you won't notice it till later :smile2:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    s t aint that bad, i know ill get cut,and it wilhurt but, will they get away

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've grabbed a bunch of 50+ blues, sometimes with and sometimes without gloves. It's the little ones, under 10-15lbs, that will really clamp down on you. Or maybe I've just been lucky :crazy:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    After my incident last year getting poked by a Channel Cat, I invested in a lip gripper made by Cabelas (or it has the Cabelas name on it). I really like using it knowing that it can save you from some nasty scars, scrapes or puncture wounds. Sometimes, I will lip them like a bass and take the scrape on the thumb or fingers. Just a temporary wound that will subside after awhile. If you can afford the lip gripper, I would go for it. Probably the best tool for handling a fish. Period!!

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i got a 15, and it wasent bad, a flathead wont do nothing, but i still wnna fell a blus mouth and see how harder tey clamp than a flat head

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    its gonna hurt soooo good 50 baby (LOL) oh yeah!(LOL)

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know it wll cut, but will the clmp be bad

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    it aint gonna be purdeey if its ticked (LOL) just roll bro ya be allright(LOL)

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i still say a flathead will break tyour line easer

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jake,Just Man Up,Gloves are for sissies:smile2::wink: Seriously,I've lipped up to 25 lb blues with no Ill effects,and all were from the bank. the only one I remember was a 12 or so that rolled on my thumb after which it looked like a piece of hamburger.:cool2:

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never used a net or owned a glove for fishing. I have landed quite a few blues up to #50 with my hands. Climb down the rocks to the fish and grab him however needed to get him out of the water. It gets a little annoying when they start the spinning moves. My main concern when this is going on is with my reel. I use Abu casting reels and they do not do well when layed in the rocks or sand while trying to land the fish. All I can say is just get in and get the fish out.

15. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Last year, I know a guy fishing out of a boat grabbed a 20lber and it spun as he grabbed it and off went 1 of his fingers to the first knuckle.

16. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    The little ones will get you.... the big ones will just clamp down and take some skin... but the big ones will dislocate your shoulder in a heartbeat if they clamp and roll on you... the pic below is what a 44#er did to me...

Attached Files:

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    This is a bunch of BS! I don't see how you could lose a finger.:roll_eyes:

The key is to not be timid about it, get in there and grab onto the bottom lip into the soft spot like you mean it. If you pussyfoot around about it, that's when they'll hurt you.

Watch out for the hook, you HAVE TO KNOW where the hook is.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know a guy who lipped a big Bluecat by the mouth and it cracked his wrist as it spun around on him. Good Luck Jake....hope you dont loose any fingers bro!:crazy:

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i do, wich i dought thats possible, not saying it dident happen, ill have a sstory to telll, man , i mouthed a 15, and it rolled but i hore them in with agression, u got to be agessiv and deathgrip em, ill use a net, saterday, becouse we will be in a boat, but man, im not gonna loose a blue in the 50 range being afraid of it, ill show it up, ill get in the watter and noodle it, i got a adrenaline problem that boost my streath, anger for a few minets, then i shake and get sick, but im like iron man in them minuets, , and, know man or beast in them minets scare me, no matter how big, ill take em buy mouth,but a roll i do beleiv, could dislocate you, but i think it would have to be 70 pounds

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I never use a glove