Mouth of the Occoquan River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by rebcatman, Dec 14, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    According to the local fishing report I read in the paper every week, one of the better places to catch catfish in the potomac are around the islands that are located at the mouth of the Occoquan on the Potomac river. Does anyone fish this area, and if so, what are the better ways to target the fish. Thanks.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Remember You read that in a new paper, Did they even fish the waters or just writing something up. I can say I have fished there and you can catch fish there as most of the potomac as for better I wouldn't say that I have found the better fish in the potomac to be mostly on the maryland side of the river. I know of 2 or 3 spot on the VA side that can and does put big fish in the boat for me almost every time I fish them. But I can show you 30 or more on the maryland side that will do the same. I do know that alot of the VCA guys that fish my tournaments aways fish the maryland side so I wil let them added there 2 cents here soon and we can see from there,

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Ya, you never know what to believe when reading the fishing report.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya he may have went there and just got lucky or had a good day so now that the beat stop in the river. Did it say what he had or now big. he may have set here and got 50 eaters 2 to 3 lbs. I would say if the spot was puting 20 lbs plus fish in the boat the tournament guys would be setting over there.

5. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have fished the occoquan many times and have only found the fishing there to be average at best. It's normally our first stop to catch bait and then we get out of there as fast as we can. If you are talking about the fishing report in the potomac news/manassas journal it's a bunch of crap. They have been printing that same report about the islands for atleast 10 years, and I have wasted many days fishing there because of it.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bob R,

That is the fishing report.

7. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Where's the bait recently?