Mouth of Salt river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Missouribreaks, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm planning on hitting the mouth of the Salt river, which runs into the Mississippi just above Lousiana Missouri. Can anybody tell me anything about it? It's unchartered territory for me, but I hear there's flathead. thanks.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOTS of SHALLOW WATER right now. Be careful.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As with the Chariton confluence, it's silted in, and very shallow. Backwater in the mouth equals gar galore in my past experience. If you can get farther up into the salt, and find good current conditions, there are flatheads in there. Good luck.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I fished the mouth of the Salt all the the way up to the railroad trestle last year prefishing and during the Cook's tourney last year and didn't get a bite. It does look like good flathead water though.:wink:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just be careful.Like they all say it has shallow spots.Long as you stay pretty much in the middle you should be ok. Now for some strange reason they have been letting a lot of water out of MTL .Went by Salt River yesterday on 79 north of Louisiana and it was running over half full.Does any one know why they are doing this everyday .Don't remember them doing it last year. Sure isn't cause of too much rain in the area.

6. Missouribreaks

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the current status on the salt. Doesn't sound very good right now. I have a buddy who lived in ashburn MO. (several miles north of Louisiana, MO.) for a year or so, and he told me I can put in on the Salt there (around Ted Shanks Preserve). He doesn't fish (HUH?) so that's all he knew. A good rain in these parts is needed badly.
    Hey MRR, I got a buddy who works for Marion co. water distric. I'll ask him what's going on with MTL water release and get back to you. That's my Crappie hole up there you Know, and it was way down last I checked. Crappie were bitin on glow-in-dark 1 1/2" yum beavertails at around 15-20 feet about a week ago on south branch/salt confluence, just in case any of you aren't strictly Cats.:wink:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I could use some BAIT.:smile2:

Heck I don't even know if Crappie are legal bait, guess I'll check the regs.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    No, Crappie are not legal in Missouri to use for bait

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    In order to get to that acces your talking about at Ted Shanks go North out of La Right after you go accross Salt River road there will be a gravel road(on right).Take that road can't remember Co Rd # 214 I think .Stay on it till it dead ins ,go right keep going You'll see a Co Rd 215 don't take it dead in go around left curve keep going till you go accross RR tracks.Rd dead ins.You'll see a sign says Horseshoe Lake Follow that sign till you see a gravel rd to the right goes over levy you should be at public access and only about a 1/4 mile from the RR bridge ever one talks about.Lots of logs jammed at the bridge.Flathead heaven least it looks like anyway.(Hope I didn't get you too lost and :confused2: confused.)

10. Missouribreaks

State:
    missouri
    Ha, ha on the crappie bait. Thanks for the directions MRR. I was down as far as Frankford area today and caught a nice one. The water district guy said they regularly release water from MTL for generating power off the dam.