Mouth calls? How do you get your Turkey Call to sound right?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Big B, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I am new to turkey hunting and I am stumped. I recently purchased a few mouth calls and can't quite figure out how to get the right sound out of them. They say to put the round end in first and use your tongue to make different sounds. How do I use it properly? I can make some sounds but it sounds like something dying. I can make a better sound putting it in backwards and sucking in. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When I was able to hunt, I could not use a mouth call! I had to go to a box call.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I thought the same thing,till I asked a friend to listen . He said it sounded great to him,It's just like listening to your own voice ,tape it and it sounds funny to you ...not like you think it sounds,tape your calling and then listen to it ,it will sound vastly different to you,I use a variety of calls myself diaphrams,slate and box.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    223 hit it right on, you may also find it works better if you trim them to fit, but basically the old saying practice, when I started I did record myself a few times to hear what I was doing with them, thats all I have used for 6-7 years now, just have some one listen to you that knows or better yet keep one in yer pocket and when ya see some birds, stop and give them a hollar see what they do? How ever I do think people over rate the use on them, I know I ain't award winning with mine but what ever I sound like works thats all I can say, maybe they just think I am an out of towner or something, but they always come into close to see

5. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No 2 turkey sound exactly the same. I have heard some raspy sounds that I thought for sure was someone using a call that didn't know what they were doing, to find out it was a turkey and not a human. I wouldn't worry a lot about it sounding perfect. I would say to use it in a manner that it works best for you and you get the sound you are trying for. If it works by turning it backwards and sucking in rather than blowing out, than you have found what works for you. Personally I can't use a mouth call because no matter how much I trim it, it is still to big for my mouth and I am not comfortable. I prefer a slate call. Mine has a strap and I can strap it right to my leg while I am sitting in my blind or under cover. I am able to set with my gun ready so it blocks movement. Good luck to you.

6. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have it figured out. Well at least close enough. A little more practice and I will have it right.

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    for your diaphram calls ( mouth ) you can bend them a lil to get a arch , also you can trim them the round side a lil to to be more comfortable . as for the sound for your tones your tongue is the key .if your not putting enough pressure it will tickle your mouth so tthen you need to put more pressure .
    hope this helps remember, practice, practice,practice .

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have the opposite problem of some on here. I can use a mouth call but stink at a slate. I seem to remember someone telling me that pretty sounds are for the competitions, when it sounds like its dying your good for the woods. I just got a couple calls and they say to say "cluck, chirp and puck" or something similar while its pressed to the roof of your mouth using your tongue.

9. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I watched a buddy of mine use a slate last year. He did his yelps by doing small circles on the slate. He did another where he held the stick pointing up but at an angle and pulled it in a straight line (short) I believe that was a cluck. Try those and see if they work for you. I am getting one soon so I cal learn how to use a slate.

10. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    here in my woods i try to sound as realistic as i can , i rather sound more real than someth'n dieing. cluck , chirp i use but not the puck thats a warning sound for the birds theres one called the keekee . but i found out for myself the more your in the woods actually listening to the wild birds you will bedcome better imatateig them with your call's ,calling , etc .

11. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    Some mouth calls are hard to use. Try a simple double reed some of the ones with cuts and notches cut in em are hard to use. It just takes alot of practice some people are good at em and some are not. If you ever get close to an old hen and hear how raspy and rough she sounds you would think it was terriable but an ol tom sure loves em. I think the biggest mistake is to try and sound to good. When the turkeys start hearin all the latest in new turkey calls of the year they know somethings not right!! Your basic clucks and yelps and some scrathin the leaves will drive em crazy!
    SS

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Some of the worst sounding calls Ive heard have been from real turkeys.

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    it sounds like you got plenty of great advice so i'll just tell you how i figured it out.

i bought a few diaphram calls and worked watched t.v. , basically did everything possible while practicing. this went on for about 6 days without any success. finally one morning i was walking into wally world from the parking lot, and trying to make a yelp come out of my face. i got so frustrated that i screamed sh!^!! and low and behold a yelp came out. from there i just practiced and tweaked.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I am trying to learn the kee kee and kee kee run. The biggest problem with the area I hunt is that in 4 years of hunting it. I have seen up to 17 birds at one time within 1/4 from where I hunt (on private property). There is nowhere to go. On the south side of the road is a golf coarse, to the north is the creek and lake and to the west is town. This is all within a very short distance (from a few yards to the golf coarse to 1/2 mile for the creek). I am yet to hear a bird. I spent a lot of time in the woods last year. No fly down cackles or yelps. Nothing. What do I do about that? I do have a hen decoy. 2 mouth calls and a box call. I don't care if I shoot one. I just want to be able to call them in.

15. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    This year was the worst ever. They were not Gobblin for nothin! If you heard one gobble 2 times on the roost he was vocal. I don't know if the increase in coyotes has made em shut up more or what. We were so close to one on a cold mornin that we thought he would fly into our laps but after he flew down not a sound!
    SS