Mousetrap Rod Wrapper pic.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Cherokee Rod Man, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
  2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yeah I seen that before..LOL..That is used by alot of people.beleive it ot not..

3. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    hey guys just wondering if you could spool your thread on a little ultralite reel and mount it someway then use the drag as a tensioner?? just a thought

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Chad i dont see y it wouldent work

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The only problem I could see with using a reel to spool line would be making sure you don't remove or add any undue twist to the thread.

It would be a lot more work trying to spool the thread off the spool and onto a reel and then off the reel and back onto a rod. A spinning reel would undoubtedly impart some degree of twist, which could make your thread unravel in one direction or tangle and not lie right on the blank in the other.

I'd use a couple of phone books before I'd try to mess with a fishing reel. I've wrapped many guides with a cut box for a rod holder, and phone books for tension it works just fine.

I have a few fly tying bobbins that I use now days for guide repair, they fit in your tackle box or jacket, and repairs made on the water are fast and easy and you get good constant tension.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan

I just made a setup like that a few weeks ago, works real good a lot better than the phonebook trick.

7. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    Good idea but Crucials post using a bobbin is super quick for a single guide repair, Wrap the guide on align it and put on 1 coat of clear hard as nails polish and your rod is usable in 20 minutes time.:wink:

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
  9. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    id say your right!! but aybe find a way to put the thread and spool on the reel in place of the reel spool and keep it from spinning then use the drag- dont use the bail on the reel!!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I started years ago with something like the mousetrap that I made except I had a sliding thread guide. Worked well with additional supports that I made to go with it.
    Actually I built several different types of wrapping jigs and used sewing machine motors and pedals. Never quite got what I was looking for.

Then I went with the Renzetti.
    If rod building were still a hobby of mine or I was attempting to make building rods a business I wouldn't do it without a Renzetti.
    In my opinion that is the single best tool ever produced for rod building.
    Especially if you diamond wrap, flag wrap, tuna wrap, and alot of those butt wrap designs that require alot of filling.
    Aint nothing like running 8 threads at one time under motor power.

11. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    Yeah; I came real close to buying one years ago....wish now I had. And you are right about the multi-thread feature they were designed for the true custom builders the best ever made!:cool2: